Release Automation

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

How to set a whole array as a Deployment Property?

• 1.  How to set a whole array as a Deployment Property?

Posted Jun 16, 2017 04:11 PM

Hi All,

I have situation where In one process under pre-deployment phase  I am creating one array which I want access on other process under Post deployment Phase. 

Is  possible to use the ROC - Updated and Get Value actions to achieve this? Tried lot many approaches. Please sugest.

• 2.  Re: How to set a whole array as a Deployment Property?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 16, 2017 04:47 PM

Keith-Puzey-CA, you were the first person to come to mind on this one since you know a bit more of the implementation/design stuff than we do in support.  Do you recall ever trying something like this is an environment? 

• 3.  Re: How to set a whole array as a Deployment Property?

Posted Jun 16, 2017 05:02 PM

Hi James,

Thanks for the comment.   I did not understood your question - Do you recall ever trying something like this is an environment? You mean to using environment level parameters.

• 4.  Re: How to set a whole array as a Deployment Property?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 16, 2017 05:06 PM

Sorry for the confusion, that question was not directed to you, but my fellow colleague whom I tagged in the post.  

• 5.  Re: How to set a whole array as a Deployment Property?

Posted Jun 19, 2017 02:53 AM

hey,

you should be able to use a string array parameter and then update it in the pre-deployment for the post-deployment step with the action "ROC - Update String Array Parameter", you need to make sure though that the parameter is in "user input" scope and not for example an "internal" one.

best regards

michael

• 6.  Re: How to set a whole array as a Deployment Property?

Posted Jun 19, 2017 03:50 PM

Hi Mike,

I can not keept this parameter as a user input since the input is being created based on other action as a array like - under pre-deployment i am creating the array of components that i want to deploy  and the same array i would like to pass over post deployment steps to use, since this array is being used for deployment notification mail.

• 7.  Re: How to set a whole array as a Deployment Property?

Posted Jun 20, 2017 01:12 AM

marking it as user input allows you to update it for another process, doesn't mean it really has to be put in by a user.

we're doing the exact same thing you're trying to implement, the only difference is, that we're simply using only string but no arrays, but the principal should be the same. create the array in pre-deployment and then use this value to update a user input string array parameter with the action I mentioned for the post-deployment step.

• 8.  Re: How to set a whole array as a Deployment Property?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 19, 2017 04:09 AM

Hi,

Can you please check this document, I think it cover similar scenario you have to share parameter value between process.

https://www.ca.com/us/services-support/ca-support/ca-support-online/knowledge-base-articles.TEC1259246.html

Regards,

Saurabh

• 9.  Re: How to set a whole array as a Deployment Property?

Posted Jun 20, 2017 01:12 AM

why environment scope for the parameter?

• 10.  Re: How to set a whole array as a Deployment Property?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 20, 2017 04:23 AM

Hi Michael,

I think the scenario for that is to share parameter value between all process in same environment. I don't think there is any specific reason for that but just a design consideration.

Regards,

Saurabh

• 11.  Re: How to set a whole array as a Deployment Property?

Posted Oct 25, 2018 02:24 AM

Hello,

the link does not work.

It could help me a lot!!!

• 12.  Re: How to set a whole array as a Deployment Property?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 25, 2018 02:38 AM

Hi, 

The URL was changed to here.

How to pass parameter value between processes? - CA Knowledge 

Thanks

Yas

• 13.  RE: Re: How to set a whole array as a Deployment Property?

Posted Jul 27, 2020 11:30 AM
    This is not the best way to set this up. If there are two parallel deployments for this app, they will both be fighting to update that env-param and one will win.
    DeploymentA - Step1: Update env param to "A"
    DeploymentB - Step1: Update env param to "B"
    DeploymentA - Step2: Use/Print env param - "B"
    DeploymentB - Step2: Use/Print env param - "B"

There should be another way we can pass values between processes that is deployment-specific. The only way I know is to pull/use/update the Deployment Parameters individually, but this would need to be done for each process (constantly running "Get Deployment Param" to set internal params)

• 14.  Re: How to set a whole array as a Deployment Property?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 21, 2017 05:45 AM

Hi,

Can we assume your query is answer on this thread. I am marking it as assumed answer, if not please let us know.

Regards,

Saurabh