Release Automation

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

How to get password environment parameters?

• 1.  How to get password environment parameters?

Posted Sep 22, 2016 04:17 AM

Hi everyone,

here is the situation:

we have a config file, in which we need to replace some stuff during the deployment with environment parameters, some of those are passwords. The replacement is handled in dynamic way, using the "ROC - Get Environment Parameter" action, which probably uses the REST call to get it(?).

The problem now is, that this action only returns "*****", so the masked password, when grabbing the parameter.

Is this a bug or a feature?

If it is a feature, is there even a way to write the password parameter to a file in a dynamic way or is the only possibility to use the environment parameter directly in the flow? Because this I tested and it did work to write it to the file, when I put the parameter directly in the action, but not when I'm grabbing the value with the ROC action or the REST call.

thanks,

Michael

• 2.  Re: How to get password environment parameters?

Posted Sep 22, 2016 04:18 AM

and no, using token management is not an option, we evaluated it and it is not suited for our case

• 3.  Re: How to get password environment parameters?

Posted Sep 22, 2016 04:44 AM

I think the action works with string or sting array parameters type and not with password. e.g in update actions we have 3 different actions: for string , string arrays and passwords

• 4.  Re: How to get password environment parameters?

Posted Sep 22, 2016 05:00 AM

is there a way to achieve that for password parameters otherwise I'll open up an idea? (or check if there is already one, didn't do a search before posting this thread)

• 5.  Re: How to get password environment parameters?

Posted Sep 22, 2016 05:06 AM

You already said you can use the environment parameter directly when updating the file.

What still is missing?

• 6.  Re: How to get password environment parameters?

Posted Sep 22, 2016 05:09 AM

using it directly would mean breaking up the generic/dynamic flow we currently have and handle the password parameter separately, I would like to avoid that if possible

• 7.  Re: How to get password environment parameters?
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 22, 2016 05:31 AM

I don't think currently there is an action to retrieve password parameter type value

• 8.  Re: How to get password environment parameters?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 22, 2016 05:42 AM

Hi,

If you assign this password parameter to a string type parameter and write this value to file it must do the trick.

Thanks,

Saurabh

• 9.  Re: How to get password environment parameters?

Posted Sep 22, 2016 05:45 AM

It will not allow set the value dynamically (There will be one to one mapping)  as requested 

It is the same as working directly with the environment parameter 

• 10.  Re: How to get password environment parameters?

Posted Sep 22, 2016 05:46 AM

correct, thanks

• 11.  Re: How to get password environment parameters?

Posted Sep 22, 2016 05:46 AM

Hi Saurabh,

this would be the same as directly using the password paramater to write it to the file.

our current dynamic flow reads the placeholders from the files and then in a foreach loop we go through those placeholders and get the environment paramters for them with the "ROC - Get Environment Parameter" action. we're doing it like this, as we did stick to naming conventions with the placeholder, so that we can do it dynamically in one loop instead of using dozens of write to file actions,

best regards

Michael

• 12.  Re: How to get password environment parameters?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 22, 2016 05:51 AM

Thanks, Yes indeed it make sense.