Release Automation

Expand all | Collapse all

RA Menu - loop process in different servers

• 1.  RA Menu - loop process in different servers

Posted 07-24-2017 03:42 PM

Good afternoon,

I'm working on a process to create a deployment that runs a central menu and according to the options chosen, go to a different server, run some actions and then go back to the main menu :

For example : run the Menu on server 1, then choose Exe Server A, execute some actions and then go back to the Menu on Server 1. Then choose maybe exe servers B o C, and so on.

Is there any way to do this? For example, set dependencies in the deployment steps screen or something like that?

• 2.  Re: RA Menu - loop process in different servers

Posted 07-25-2017 01:45 AM

Hi,

sorry, I don't really get what you're looking for.

What exactly is this "main menu" you talk about? where is the choosing of the executions on the other servers done?

Or do you mean it like this:

Your first deployment step opens a user input dialogue where the user needs to choose on which server he wants to execute something and after the execution on the chosen server is done, your deployment should go back to the dialogue? rinse and repeat?

best regards

Michael

• 3.  Re: RA Menu - loop process in different servers

Posted 07-25-2017 07:42 AM

Hi Michael,

Yes, that is what i meant to say.

• 4.  Re: RA Menu - loop process in different servers

Posted 07-25-2017 07:53 AM

Hi,

I am not very certain that creating a connection arrow will bring the control back but what I suspect it will create a cyclic dependency.

For example action on Server A is menu -> action on Server B now we want control back from Server B to same action which executed (will be a cyclic dependency).

I can think of two ways but haven't validated either myself to achieve this.

1: We repeat the menu actions X time we want it to display and control passes back to this not executed action. However it have some drawback like it is not going to be compact and will have lot of redundancy.

2: Create a flow which have this menu action and run it in a loop and control should pass from this flow to other process on other server type. I have preference for this option. (as this is loop it will run that much number of time and prompt you that many times)

I haven't tried it myself but you may try and let us know how it goes. I will try to validate same as I able to spare some time.

Regards,

Saurabh

• 5.  Re: RA Menu - loop process in different servers

Posted 07-25-2017 09:39 AM

Hello Saurabh,

Do you mean having a process with something like this inside a loop?

• 6.  Re: RA Menu - loop process in different servers

Posted 07-25-2017 12:25 PM

Hi,

I just checked myself and it looks like either a flow or action it will not be getting linked back.So in above diagram if you have link from User-input Action(Repository*) to Sever 2 you can't have back from server to this user-input action.

System will complain and doesn't allow you to make it with message "These actions are already linked".

So it looks like we need to have to have repeat user-input in Repository Server.

Do you consider a scenario where user passes it input in one operation (like server1, server3) and these Server execute there respective processes in an order which we can control.

Regards,

Saurabh

• 7.  Re: RA Menu - loop process in different servers

Posted 08-16-2017 10:18 AM

Hi ,

I don;t think there is way to do this , the link is creating a dependency in one direction .

You can not jump back to the previous state  as this will result endless execution job which will never end .

At the end what do you want to accomplish with this , maybe there are other ways to this 

Regards Dirk