Release Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Automatic association between "Server Type" and "Artifact definition" ?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 29, 2016 04:31 AM

Artifact distribution requires that artifact definition is associated to relevant server types.

Can this association be automatically deduced by the association between components and server types, and the association between artifact types and components ?

Have we got to set this association manually for each artifact definition type ?

I may be wrong but it seems there was an automatic association in the past. Now we are using 5.5.2.460 and we have to associate manually artifact definition and server types.

Did i miss something ?

Thanks for your feedback.

• 2.  Re: Automatic association between "Server Type" and "Artifact definition" ?

Posted Jul 29, 2016 11:28 AM

In our case, we have components that are associated with multiple server types, and artifact definitions that need to be deployed to specific server types within that.  So for us, there is no way that you can infer this relationship.  If pre-5.5 allowed this kind of inference, it would have been very limiting, so I suspect that if this was the case, the added flexibility offered by 5.5+ is why they cannot infer this now.  

For example, we have a single component for all our .Net apps, but we have 5 different server types that .Net apps are deployed to based on artifact definition.  If CA-RA were to infer the artifactDef-serverType relationship, we would not be able to do this.

• 3.  Re: Automatic association between "Server Type" and "Artifact definition" ?
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 31, 2016 02:15 AM

Did you try to associate the artifact definition with server type as part of your preplan using ROC - Create Artifact Definition action?

If you don't list the server types it will map all server types that map to artifat type for this definition ,but you can specify a specific servers type as well

• 4.  Re: Automatic association between "Server Type" and "Artifact definition" ?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 01, 2016 05:02 AM

Hi Jacky,

Thanks, I got t now.

When we create the artifact without creating the artifact definition, the artifact definition is created but without any server type associated. I have forced the creation of artifact definition.