Release Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Is it possible to add more than two steps in Initialization Steps?

Posted Apr 10, 2017 06:34 PM

When creating a Template, we have two places to add steps: Pre-Plan Step and Pre-Deployment step.  The Pre-Plan step is being used to create an artifact and the Pre-Deployment step is being used to send approval gate communication. I am trying to add a step that checks if the retrieval agents and the target agents are up and running before attempting anything else.  How would I do that?

• 2.  Re: Is it possible to add more than two steps in Initialization Steps?
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 11, 2017 02:17 AM

Hi,

there are two answers to this:

1) it is not possible to add more then one step to the preplan and predeployment, I did put up an idea a while back to at least get the chance to add multiple steps to the predeployment phase: Allow more then one PreDeployment Steps 

2)  the thing you're trying to set up is already part of the build-in verification phase, which checks, if I'm not mistaken, all agents that are required for the deployment after the predeployment is finished.

best regards

michael

• 3.  Re: Is it possible to add more than two steps in Initialization Steps?

Posted Apr 11, 2017 12:18 PM

Michael,

Thanks for the the quick response.  I upvoted your request for more than one PreDeployment steps and I agree that the ROC create actions need to include a pre-deployment option as well.

We use artifact retrieval groups and occasionally these get knocked down during standard linux patching.  If a deployment is kicked off during that time, the artifact retrieval process fails and sits in a "pause" status.  The flow I put together checks all the associated agents and will fail out the whole process before it attempts retrieval. 

Sounds like it might need to go in another deployment phase?

Thanks

Tom

• 4.  Re: Is it possible to add more than two steps in Initialization Steps?

Posted Apr 12, 2017 02:16 AM

Hey Tom,

are you able to integrate that check into your pre-deployment process?

because if your problem is the artifact distribution putting this step into the deployment phase probably wouldn't help, as the distribution comes before that.

best regards

Michael

• 5.  Re: Is it possible to add more than two steps in Initialization Steps?

Posted Apr 12, 2017 11:39 AM

Michael,

I am looking into integrating the check in the artifact shared component that retrieves our binaries out of artifactory. I think that will resolve it.    But I completely agree that we should be able to put in more than two flows in Initialization.  I hope CA considers it as a future enhancement.

-Tom