Release Automation

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

ROC - Assign Environment Artifact Package To Deployment

• 1.  ROC - Assign Environment Artifact Package To Deployment

Posted May 12, 2016 08:36 AM

Hi,

please help me. Bug or misunderstanding from my side?

Version: 6.1.0.1004

2016-05-12 14_27_37-Release Operations Center.png

2016-05-12 14_30_00-Automation Studio [ Logged in as 05021028 ].png

2016-05-12 14_31_33-Release Operations Center.png

For me "pre-deployment step is not pre-plan-deployment step" or do I have a misunderstandig !!!

Thanks,

Michael

• 2.  Re: ROC - Assign Environment Artifact Package To Deployment

Posted May 12, 2016 10:32 AM

Michael, there are TWO predeployment steps.   The artifact package must be assigned during the Pre-Plan step, which executes when the Deployment Plan is created.  What you are executing now is the PreDeploy step, which executes when the Deployment begins.

Does that make sense?

• 3.  Re: ROC - Assign Environment Artifact Package To Deployment

Posted May 12, 2016 10:43 AM

Hi ChipRab,

I'm affraid it makes no sense. If I can use this action only in a Pre_plan phase, than why is this action called "Envrionment Artifact Package". I mean, a pre-plan step will run only once, but this deployment plan is supposed to run across different environments. So my expectation would be, that I can use this in a Pre-Deployment step as the description mention this.

Does this make sense?

Cheers, Michael

• 4.  Re: ROC - Assign Environment Artifact Package To Deployment

Posted May 12, 2016 11:02 AM

Yes, i totally understand what you are saying, Michael.  And yes, that would make sense to me as well.......but that's not how it works.

You need to assign the Environment Artifact Packages in the PrePlan step......the different packages for each environment.......still have to be assigned as part of the PrePlan.

The reason for this, as I understand it, is that a "Deployment Plan" object contains the artifact details required to create a "Deployment" object.  In other words, the ONLY way to create a deployment with an artifact package (and it's ok to have a deployment WITHOUT a package) is from a DeploymentPlan that already has the artifact defined.

I'm probably doing a bad job describing this, so maybe one of the CA folks can jump in and make it more clear.

• 5.  Re: ROC - Assign Environment Artifact Package To Deployment

Posted May 13, 2016 01:42 AM

ChipRab just a fun fact for you: you can even assign an artifact package to the deployment plan during the predeployment phase, we found that out by mistake, as a new colleague did use the assign artifact package to deployment plan and not the deployment during the predeployment...don't know though if this is an error and should not be possible

• 6.  Re: ROC - Assign Environment Artifact Package To Deployment

Posted May 13, 2016 09:42 AM

As you and others have pointed out on this thread, I was wrong…….and you guys are correct ☺

Chip Rabinowitz

Senior Enterprise DevOps Architect

A&I Solutions

702-443-7520

• 7.  Re: ROC - Assign Environment Artifact Package To Deployment

Posted May 12, 2016 11:52 AM

The action should work in the pre deployment step and last time I checked was in V6.1.0.852 and it work.

• 8.  Re: ROC - Assign Environment Artifact Package To Deployment

Posted May 12, 2016 01:31 PM

Thanks Jacky, I will open a support case tomorrow.

Regards, Michael

• 9.  Re: ROC - Assign Environment Artifact Package To Deployment

Posted May 13, 2016 01:28 AM

I can verify that for version 5.5.2, we're using the artifact assignments in both, the preplan and the predeployment, the difference is, that in the preplan we're using the assignment to the deployment plan and in the predeployment the one that assigns it to the deployment, which you're using here.

I would assume you're missing something in your flow, but I can't tell, as you only showed this one action

• 10.  Re: ROC - Assign Environment Artifact Package To Deployment

Posted May 13, 2016 02:55 AM

Hi MichaelGebhardt,

can you confirm that this action runs on Version: 6.1.0.1004, too?

If so, I will dig deeper in my brain ;-)

Thanks,

Michael

• 11.  Re: ROC - Assign Environment Artifact Package To Deployment

Posted May 13, 2016 03:01 AM

hi, we have 6.1 installed on our dev environment but didn't have time to run a testdeployment yet. so, no, I can not confirm it at this point of time. but I can't see how this would be broken. I really would think, that it is something in your flow or did the flow work prior upgrading to 6.1?

• 12.  Re: ROC - Assign Environment Artifact Package To Deployment

Posted May 13, 2016 03:08 AM

hi,

no, this is a new functionality that I wanted to add to our flow and failed . But on the other hand shouldn't this action work on its own? What else do I miss to just add an existing Artifact Package to the Environment Specific part of the Deplyoment?

• I'm in the Pre-Deployment
    • I have this Artifact Package in place
    • I assign this Artifact Package with this one action to the Deployment

Where am I wrong?

Thanks,

Michael

• 13.  Re: ROC - Assign Environment Artifact Package To Deployment

Posted May 13, 2016 03:27 AM

Hi,

I can't really tell you where you're wrong without seeing the flow. I can only tell you, that it works for us, when we do it like that:

we have a loop that creates all the artifact versions and add them to the package. outside the loop we have then the assignment of the package to the environment.

I'm not sure, but I'm most certain that it is this way, that you can only assign a package ONCE, so if you have it in a loop, you need to remove it from there

• 14.  Re: ROC - Assign Environment Artifact Package To Deployment

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 13, 2016 06:41 AM

it works for me on 6.1.0.852.  I will try and apply the patch to bring me up to your level.  The action does not work in the pre-plan stage which makes sense because it is relevant to an environment that you are running in.  Michael G. are you sure you are not referring to the "normal" or "standard" artefact package and its particular action.

Billy

• 15.  Re: ROC - Assign Environment Artifact Package To Deployment

Posted May 13, 2016 06:49 AM

what is the "normal"/"standard" artefact package and its action? we're using in the pre-deployment the action with the description "assign an environment artifact package to a deployment", so the same as he is

in the pre-plan, we're using "assign an artifact package to a deployment plan..."

• 16.  Re: ROC - Assign Environment Artifact Package To Deployment

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 13, 2016 06:54 AM

sorry Michael my mistake.  By standard, I was referring to something similar to  the example you used above for pre-plan. 

Billy

• 17.  Re: ROC - Assign Environment Artifact Package To Deployment

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 13, 2016 06:55 AM

"standard" was not the right word/term to use

Billy

• 18.  Re: ROC - Assign Environment Artifact Package To Deployment

Posted May 13, 2016 07:28 AM

OK,

in order to limit the confusion (not my intention ) I can deliver the following update:

I was able to run the action "ROC - Assign Environment Artifact Package To Deployment" in a pre-deployment (initialization) process developed from scratch (nothing else inside other than this action even with an empty package)

2016-05-13 13_24_25-Release Operations Center.png

Going back to my existing process, that I initially wanted to extend, it fails with the above message.

My troubleshoot route will be now:

• make copy of the existing process
    • strip down step by step the flows inside
    • reach (hopefully) the point where it will work...

Cheers, Michael

• 19.  Re: ROC - Assign Environment Artifact Package To Deployment

Posted May 17, 2016 08:30 AM

Hi,

I found the root cause of my failure. But still I'm wondering if this is a bug (and should be managed by support) or if I have still a wrong understanding of the usage:

It turned out that the action itself works OK if in use of a Pre-Deployment in general.

But it will not work (regardless of the order and this is my case/problem here) if you have additionally a flow that loops over the artifact collection in your initialization step/process.

The existing flow loops over an artifact definition from the "normal" artifact package.

You might wonder why do we iterate at that stage already. It is just because we want to do some sanity check on the content of the "normal" artifact package.

So my question would be now:

Wrong thinking from my side or should this work in general?

Your thoughts?

Regards,

Michael

• 20.  Re: ROC - Assign Environment Artifact Package To Deployment

Posted May 17, 2016 09:00 AM

Hey,

can you try to explain it in a different way or simply just show the flow? I'm not really getting what you're doing.

as I said, I strongly believe that you can't be in a loop when assigning the package, as this probably should only happens once. so I'm not sure if this is what you're doing.

best regards

michael

• 21.  Re: ROC - Assign Environment Artifact Package To Deployment

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 17, 2016 09:16 AM

MichaelCH, if I understand you correctly, in your pre-deployment process logic, you are trying to process a collection for a particular artefact type.  I don't think this is allowed because if you look at the pre-deployment status, the process logic runs before the artefacts are pushed out. 

Apologies if I have misinterpreted your scenario.

Billy

• 22.  Re: ROC - Assign Environment Artifact Package To Deployment

Posted May 17, 2016 09:20 AM

Hi,

if I remove this flow from the current working initialization process/step then the assignment of the env specific package works.

2016-05-17 15_14_57-Release Operations Center.png

The collection runs over a Loop folder that is part of the "normal" artifact package (coming with the deployment plan).

Hope this makes things more clear.

regards,

michael

• 23.  Re: ROC - Assign Environment Artifact Package To Deployment

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 23, 2016 05:25 AM

Hi Michael,

Where you able to sort the answer on this question out , if so can you mark the question as answered ?

With Kind regards

Dirk

• 24.  Re: ROC - Assign Environment Artifact Package To Deployment
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 24, 2016 11:06 AM

yes the question has been answered. caseid: 00410870

This case is now included and fixed in latest cumulative patch RA Version 6.1.0 Build 1078