Release Automation

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

ROC - Update String Parameter in RA 5.5.2

• 1.  ROC - Update String Parameter in RA 5.5.2

Posted Nov 05, 2015 09:58 AM

Hi,

I have a problem with the "ROC - Update String Parameter" action and i didn't find an answer in the community (i'm sorry if it already exists) !!

I would like to change the value of a parameter (Release ID) but it doesn't working

In the field "Parameter Name", the description is -> Name of the parameter (use the "Full Path" attribute of the parameter like it appears in the ROC)

But I don't know where to find this "Full Path" so i put :

Parameter Name [String]

Application Parameters/Common/Initialise by Flow/Release ID

Parameter value [String]

XXXXXXXX

Step Name [String]

Purge Artifacts

But it doesn't working and i have this error :

Failed to update parameter [Application Parameters/Common/Initialise by flow/Release ID].

Reason: [Cannot find parameter [Purge Artifacts/Application Parameters/Common/Initialise by flow/Release ID].]

But i promise that my parameter really exists and has no value

i don't understand ...

Thanks for your help

Best Regards

Romain (France)

• 2.  Re: ROC - Update String Parameter in RA 5.5.2

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 05, 2015 12:41 PM

What is the scope set to for your variable? If it is Internal then maybe you can try using the action: Set Parameter Value - String

If that doesn't work, isn't what you want, or is not an parameter with its scope set to "Internal" then a screenshot showing the structure of the parameter (as seen in the processes -> parameters screen) might help.

Cheers,

Gregg

• 3.  Re: ROC - Update String Parameter in RA 5.5.2

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 05, 2015 12:53 PM

I think this action is a holdover from pre 5.x and not valid for 5.5.2.  Also, Release ID is a built in parameter and its value is provided by Release Automation.  You will not be able to update it.  Could you please explain (as per Gregg's comment) what you are trying to achieve and we can go from there

• 4.  Re: ROC - Update String Parameter in RA 5.5.2

Posted Nov 06, 2015 05:14 AM

Hi Gregg and Billy,

Thanks for your answers

In my process, i'm using some flows only from Shared Components :

2015-11-06 10_48_09-Release Operations Center.png

2015-11-06 10_51_02-Release Operations Center.png

I don't want to update the "Release ID" from Built-in Parameters (i know it's not possible) but the "Release ID" that i created in "Application Parameters/Common"

2015-11-06 10_53_31-Release Operations Center.png

And i don't understand because it doesn't working :

2015-11-06 11_09_10-Release Operations Center.png

Thanks for you help

Best Regards

Romain

• 5.  Re: ROC - Update String Parameter in RA 5.5.2

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 06, 2015 08:40 AM

Romain just use the “Set Parameter Value – String” action.

regards

• 6.  Re: ROC - Update String Parameter in RA 5.5.2

Posted Nov 06, 2015 09:19 AM

I would like to use the "Set Parameter Value – String” action but it's not possible because when you're in "Shared Components", you don't see the Application Parameters

2015-11-06 15_15_28-C__Users_964898_Desktop_2015-11-06 15_09_41-Release Operations Center.png - Gree.png

So i wanted to use the "ROC - Update String Parameter" action

Thanks

Regards

Romain

• 7.  Re: ROC - Update String Parameter in RA 5.5.2

Posted Nov 09, 2015 02:02 AM

I'm not sure if this is even possible by design, as shared components should be application independent, so I would also assume, that you're not able to use somethings like the update string parameter. I guess that the same goes for template parameter, but I'm not sure as we didn't use it this much yet

• 8.  Re: ROC - Update String Parameter in RA 5.5.2

Posted Nov 09, 2015 03:00 AM

another thing. did you try setting your "Release ID" parameter to a "user input" one?

• 9.  Re: ROC - Update String Parameter in RA 5.5.2
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 11, 2019 05:24 PM

This is an old thread, but it was recently found by someone experiencing the same problems. The problem/solution is described here: Actions meant to update parameters using e.g. ROC - CA Knowledge 

User Input is one of the conditions imposed when using that action. 

• 10.  Re: ROC - Update String Parameter in RA 5.5.2

Posted Nov 09, 2015 02:54 AM

I'm facing the same issue on a standard component (not shared). It's impossible to update a release parameter defined in the "Application parameters". Howerver, it works with a release parameter at component level.

I have opened a case (00146187) and the support (after 2 monthes...) said me that it is not supported by design !!!

• 11.  Re: ROC - Update String Parameter in RA 5.5.2

Posted Nov 09, 2015 03:00 AM

what do you mean with release parameter? when it is a built-in one, than yes, that's impossible. but if it is a application parameter you defined yourself, it should be possible. we're using it quite often, that we're setting application parameters for processes with the "roc-update string parameter" action

• 12.  Re: ROC - Update String Parameter in RA 5.5.2

Posted Nov 09, 2015 03:24 AM

I mean a parameter defined by myself (not built-in) with scope "Release" (not Internal, not Environment, not User input, but Release). The action wich fails is "ROC - Update String Release Parameter" used in a Pre-plan step.

sc1.png

c2.png

• 13.  Re: ROC - Update String Parameter in RA 5.5.2

Posted Nov 09, 2015 03:30 AM

mhm ok, but from my understanding (just by the name) I would assume, if you use "Release" as scope, you would need a running deployment and not just the pre-plan phase, where you create the deployment plan. so it would make sense, that it isn't supported by design

but again, this is just wild guessing from my side :-)

(and we're always using "user input", don't know if this might be an issue as well)