Release Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Suggested improvements for 5.x GUI

Posted Jun 12, 2015 06:55 AM

After using the latest GUI for some time now in real world development and discovering quite a few pain points, I have a few suggestions on how to improve things.

- All windows should be resizeable. We work with different screen resolutions and often there are situations where windows need to be resizeable in order to better see the relevant information. Right now, some windows are resizeable and some are not.

- Always have scroll bars visible. It can often take several attempts to try to get the scroll bars to pop up. I usually have to resort to random clicking or scrolling using the mouse wheel in order to get the scroll bar to show.

- Allow customizable font sizes. Again the point that we can work with very different screen resolutions. On some screens the font can be way too small or way too big, depending on the screen resolution at the time.

- Allow drag and drop within the Components tree.

- Allow selection of multiple actions/flows. Right now it appears we can only copy/cut 1 action at a time.

- Have the ability to save and remember all window sizes, positions etc.

- Speed things up. Often screen updating is slow and laggy.

- There should be a left/right scroll bar for moving the screen left or right to see entries that are too long in the tree view and elsewhere.

- Be able to use cursor keys to navigate and enable keyboard short-cuts. Many of us still like to use the keyboard for convenience and it can speed things up considerably.

- Tree structure state should be remembered. Right now if we are several layers deep into the folder tree, if we move away to processes or somewhere else and come back, we have to search for our last work area by scrolling around and re-opening tree nodes.

- When expanding a node, the tree should scroll up to allow elements that have opened up below the current view window to become visible.

- Allow scrolling past end of tree into white space. This allows us to put a category we are working on at the top of the window, even if it is the last line in the tree.

• 2.  Re: Suggested improvements for 5.x GUI
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 12, 2015 09:09 AM

You should list this as an idea so that it gets seen by the right people.  I would absolutely vote it up!  I have experienced many of these same pain points myself, especially the lack of scroll bars and the fact that directory trees collapse whenever you move away from the object.  The lack of drag and drop functionality can be cumbersome at times as well.

In regards to the scroll bars comment, I stumbled across this gem the other day:

https://communities.ca.com/ideas/235722754#comment-233912699

This has made it much easier to navigate flows and processes since.

• 3.  Re: Suggested improvements for 5.x GUI

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 14, 2015 03:27 AM

Great ideas SeanDav and please keep them coming.

bluno01 and Kerry_Harrison - FYI