Release Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Link deployments for different environments

Posted Jul 09, 2014 01:32 PM

Hello.

Is it possible to link 2 environments, sequentially, in the same deployment?

Example: Deploy an application on DEV environment and (after an approval) deploy the same application on TST.

I did it using 2 identical processes (WS DEV and WS TST), from the same Nolio environment, associating each one to a different server type and putting an User Input process between them, for the approval part.

DeploymentPlan.png

What I am asking is if there is a more proper way to do this. And if there is, what is it?

Best regards,

Ricardo Bernardino

• 2.  Re: Link deployments for different environments
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 02, 2014 08:43 AM

Hello.

Any suggestions on this?

I have some ideas, but they are all workarounds.

One approach is to use the same process, configuring it differently on 2 server types:

1 - ProcesstA (TST machines)

2 - Approval_Process

3 - ProcessA (PRD machines)

Using this approach is not linking deployments for different environments, because they are both on the same deployment plan and use a process from the same (Release Automation) environment.

Another approach is to add an approval process on the Pre-Deployment section for each environment.

This approach is simpler and provides control, but it does not provide (direct) synchronization between environments.

The last approach I present to you is externalizing the synchronization between environments using a file, database object or change management system that the first deployment should update and the second one should query.

Can anyone suggest a better (or, at least, different) approach?

Best regards,

Ricardo Bernardino