Release Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Mail notifications improvments strongly required

Posted Aug 18, 2014 08:54 AM

Hi,

Currently the mail notification process is quite poor.

• Hard to find. No correctly documented in any software documentation. Is only visible in Design --> Process Tab --> Env --> Small (very small) "Activity Information" button on the bottom of the screen
    • Not possible to notify LDAP groups. Only users declared un Admnistration --> User Management -- Users table. So if working with LDAP group (users inside those groups are not redeclared in Users table), impossible to notify all of them on one shot
    • It is possible to notify non ASAP users but mailing list mails (sometimes without .com in it) are declared as invalid. Therefore, impossible to use them
    • No custom notification available (custom body, title, fire/trigger event)

For a real dev ops usage, this notification feature shall be greatly improved.

• 2.  Re: Mail notifications improvments strongly required

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 18, 2014 04:53 PM

From the documentation perspective, I will make sure the current functionality is documented as soon as possible. Thank you for bringing this to light.

I will leave it to others to respond regarding the scope of the current functionality and potential improvements.

Thanks,

Archer Berryman

Information Architect, CA Release Automation

archer.berryman@ca.com

• 3.  Re: Mail notifications improvments strongly required

Posted Aug 18, 2014 04:59 PM

Hi Samy,

I think you have a lot of good suggestions in your post.  To get better visibility you may want to create one or more Ideas for the improvements you are looking for so that it can be voted on by the community.

As for your third bullet, what do you mean when you say "without .com in it"?  Do you mean the name of a distribution list?

Thanks,

Tom

• 4.  Re: Mail notifications improvments strongly required

Posted Aug 19, 2014 04:49 AM

Hello Tom

Thanks for your suggestion, i'll create ideas for this, hoping they will be backed by community.

About your question : No i mean the mail address. For instance, mailing list "Paris-Users" may be linked to mail address "mail-paris-users@e2000.intranet". Some kind of internal address process which is rejected by RA because it does not contain any ".someting"

• 5.  Re: Mail notifications improvments strongly required

Posted Aug 19, 2014 11:14 AM

Good points! We are actually looking into the alerting/notification features now as a part of our roll-out of CARA/Nolio and are looking for a better solution than manually entering email addresses for environments and processes. Preferably, there would be a way to dynamically assign notification destinations (not limited to email, e.g. publish an event via messaging) at initialization. schur01