Release Automation

• 1.  Manifest Driven  Deployments

Posted 11-25-2014 03:35 AM

Hi,

There are two places from which Deployment Manifests can be generated. One is at the Deployment template level and the other at the Deployment plan level. What is the difference between the two.

What is the main use of Manifest. just to load the release parameters or anything else.

Sample Usecase:

After successfully deploying the application into Dev Env(1 Server), now i have a Prod Env(2 Server) present in the same Application. Now how can i deploy an agnostic deployment using manifest file onto the Production Environment. Do i have to create all the processes that are published in the dev Env in the Prod Env?

Without creating processes can i use the manifest file of one Deployment onto some other deployment plan so that i can load all the processes of another Environment ?

Thanks & Regards,

Prasanth Sinha.

• 2.  Re: Manifest Driven  Deployments

Broadcom Employee
    Posted 12-04-2014 06:53 AM

Hi,

Both places allow you to generate manifest file of the structure. If all your deployment plans are created from template with static content (hence- no dynamic approach that adds/removes steps) than the content remains the same in both xmls. Most of customers do have some dynamic pre-plan step that alter the deployment and post deployment steps so generated manifest file from within deployment plan will reflect these changes.

You can and should use the same manifest file when executing the plan across different environments. After loading the manifest into the deployment plan (with the release sensitive content), it will be used across all the deployments.

Uri