Release Automation

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Cannot get RA working on VM as single install

• 1.  Cannot get RA working on VM as single install

Posted Nov 23, 2014 06:06 PM

Hi, I have installed RA on a VMWare VM running Windows Server 2008 r2 with SQL Server 2008. I installed nolio_server_windows-x64_5_0_2_b78. Everything appears to be working correctly. The database schema was created correctly, the nolio processes appear to be running ok and the RA main screen loads correctly in the browser,

However Automation Studio comes up with the message: "Failed to contact Nolio Server"

ROC just says connecting to localhost... and never seems to do anything, even after many minutes (>30)

Any ideas why this is not working and what I can try?

• 2.  Re: Cannot get RA working on VM as single install

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 24, 2014 03:10 AM

Hi Sean,

I would start by looking in the nolio_dm_all.log and checking if the Data manager has started fully, search for a string $$$$ in the log these characters are used as a line break in the log for the word i am active if you don't see this string then the DM has not fully started and you should then check for errors in the log.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards

Keith

• 3.  Re: Cannot get RA working on VM as single install

Posted Nov 24, 2014 04:34 AM

$$$$ not found

This is an ERROR line from log file:

2014-11-24 09:26:57,692 [ActiveApplicationContextManager-1] ERROR (com.nolio.platform.server.dataservices.services.ha.spring.MasterApplicationContextManagerImpl:203) - failed starting master application context

org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanInitializationException: Could not load properties; nested exception is java.io.FileNotFoundException: Could not open ServletContext resource [/WEB-INF/jms.properties]

at org.springframework.context.support.PropertySourcesPlaceholderConfigurer.postProcessBeanFactory(PropertySourcesPlaceholderConfigurer.java:147)

at org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.invokeBeanFactoryPostProcessors(AbstractApplicationContext.java:687)

at org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.invokeBeanFactoryPostProcessors(AbstractApplicationContext.java:662)

at org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.refresh(AbstractApplicationContext.java:454)

at com.nolio.platform.server.dataservices.services.ha.spring.MasterApplicationContextManagerImpl.startChildContext(MasterApplicationContextManagerImpl.java:225)

at com.nolio.platform.server.dataservices.services.ha.spring.MasterApplicationContextManagerImpl.access$1000(MasterApplicationContextManagerImpl.java:52)

at com.nolio.platform.server.dataservices.services.ha.spring.MasterApplicationContextManagerImpl$StartChildContextsTask.run(MasterApplicationContextManagerImpl.java:190)

at com.nolio.platform.server.dataservices.services.ha.spring.MasterApplicationContextManagerImpl$1$1.run(MasterApplicationContextManagerImpl.java:149)

at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: Could not open ServletContext resource [/WEB-INF/jms.properties]

at org.springframework.web.context.support.ServletContextResource.getInputStream(ServletContextResource.java:140)

at org.springframework.core.io.support.PropertiesLoaderSupport.loadProperties(PropertiesLoaderSupport.java:181)

at org.springframework.core.io.support.PropertiesLoaderSupport.mergeProperties(PropertiesLoaderSupport.java:161)

at org.springframework.context.support.PropertySourcesPlaceholderConfigurer.postProcessBeanFactory(PropertySourcesPlaceholderConfigurer.java:138)

... 13 more

• 4.  Re: Cannot get RA working on VM as single install
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 24, 2014 04:54 AM

Hi,

Can you check if this file exists "C:\Program Files\CA\ReleaseAutomationServer\webapps\datamanagement\WEB-INF\jms.properties" and if so what its contents are?

If the file doesn't exists can you create it and enter these details and then restart the NAC

#

#Thu Oct 09 03:34:33 BST 2014

jms.transport.port.nes=61616

http.to.nac=false

jms.trust.store=conf/nolio.jks

jms.encrypted.key.store.password=A30B6F1F8F7A0E456311C3142AE07D7A

jms.encrypted.trust.store.password=A30B6F1F8F7A0E456311C3142AE07D7A

jms.transport.port.nac=61617

jms.activate.broker=true

jms.key.store=conf/keyStore.jks

Regards

Keith

• 5.  Re: Cannot get RA working on VM as single install

Posted Nov 24, 2014 05:39 AM

All working now! The jms.properties file did not exist.

- Why did that happen?

• 6.  Re: Cannot get RA working on VM as single install

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 24, 2014 05:44 AM

Hi Sean,

Thanks for letting me know that this worked, we are investigating why this happened on your installation. Can you confirm that this was a clean installation and there were no file / folder rights that could have prevented the file from being created.

Regards

Keith

• 7.  Re: Cannot get RA working on VM as single install

Posted Nov 24, 2014 05:50 AM

Definitely a clean installation. In fact I tried 2 complete VM installs, both starting with OS install from scratch.

• 8.  Re: Cannot get RA working on VM as single install

Posted Nov 24, 2014 06:08 AM

This happened to me before when I did not explicitly start the installer with "Run as Administrator" from the context menu.

It seems it fails silently to write some important config files.

• 9.  Re: Cannot get RA working on VM as single install

Posted Nov 27, 2014 04:40 AM

Do we have an idea as to why this happened - was it a matter of running the install explicitly as Administrator as Patmi14 suggests?

Also I am curious as to why a critical configuration file was not installed but no obvious error message was produced? If it hadn't been for the very helpful advice from Keith, I wouldn't have discovered the solution in a million years!

• 10.  Re: Cannot get RA working on VM as single install

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 27, 2014 05:22 AM

Hi,

In my last case (happened yesterday, and the first time I experienced), error.log was created into my desktop (where I executed the installer) during RA installation.

It said FileNotFoundException kms.properties (access denied).

IMHO, if 'administrator' is used, no explicit run as administrator is required.

If the account which has the administrator privilege, typically created during the OS installation on VMware is used, you need to explicitly run as administrator, at this moment.

Thanks,

Yoshio