Clarity

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

How to add new attribute to new UX from any object?

• 1.  How to add new attribute to new UX from any object?

Posted Nov 18, 2019 07:53 AM
    Hi,

How to add new attribute to new UX from any object (from the classic ppm) ?
    For example, the field: "created by" from task object. I want to be able to add it to columns in the different views in the new UX.

thank you.

• 2.  RE: How to add new attribute to new UX from any object?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 18, 2019 10:23 AM
    Edited by Raul Montejano Nov 19, 2019 04:47 AM
    Hi May-rav,

You will need to configure its API attribute ID on Studio.
    Then, the attribute will be available on the different places in the new UX (blueprint, grid columns, etc..)

Have a look at this KB for more info:
    https://ca-broadcom.wolkenservicedesk.com/external/article?articleId=92719

Cheers,
    Raúl

• 3.  RE: How to add new attribute to new UX from any object?

Posted Nov 18, 2019 01:05 PM
    Can't really say anything about the KB article as my ID fails in login (maybe because I do not have support account).
    But you can only display in the New UX attributes which already have a proper API attribute ID or are configured so that a user can set that.
    Then there are attributes where the user cannot set the API attribute ID or it is already set so that the attribute will not display in the New UX

For Task created by it is already set, but it is not the proper format.

You cannot display that in the New UX as it is not in the Column Panel. Maybe that is because of the improper format or for something else.

What you can do is create a custom attribute to which you copy the created by value either manually, with a process or in some other manner.

• 4.  RE: How to add new attribute to new UX from any object?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 19, 2019 02:31 AM
    The picture you have is for the Cross project task grid.
    This page does not use the public task API. If you want to see other fields,  go to the task module inside the project and use the grid there.
    Or use the configurable details  flyout

• 5.  RE: How to add new attribute to new UX from any object?

Posted Nov 19, 2019 04:01 PM
    Thanks

• 6.  RE: How to add new attribute to new UX from any object?

Posted Nov 20, 2019 01:34 AM
    I want to make clear.
    what are the options to add columns at the cross project task grid?

• 7.  RE: How to add new attribute to new UX from any object?

Posted Nov 20, 2019 03:07 AM
    Judging from Kathyn's comment there are no options. You cannot add custom columns only that are available OOTB
    Testing

Not displayed in the list

• 8.  RE: How to add new attribute to new UX from any object?

Posted Nov 20, 2019 03:38 AM
    so how can a project manager follow all the tasks he created in one place?

• 9.  RE: How to add new attribute to new UX from any object?
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 20, 2019 07:18 AM
    What comes first to my mind is a portlet. Task object based if it as all task attributes only and the fields that might have Internal ID's or codes do not matter.
    If they do then query based portlet.

The way to display them  in the New UX  att the moment is to dedicate a project for that and put the portlet in a channel.
    When global channels ie in the menu bar (or actually column) come available then it could be accessed from there.

It is also possible that in a later version the Cross Project task grid is based on the common grid technology and then custome fields can be added to that.

• 10.  RE: How to add new attribute to new UX from any object?

Posted Nov 20, 2019 07:37 AM
    Could you please explain how to "put a portlet in a channel"? and what is the meaning of "dedicate a project for that"?
    I know how to create portlet in the classic but don't really understand your meaning in general- If I can do it after you explain it, what this action will give me?

• 11.  RE: How to add new attribute to new UX from any object?

Posted Nov 20, 2019 07:48 AM
    Channels are in the New UX a way to go to other web pages Clarity or other.
    First you create a portlet and put it on a portlet page in the Classic UI
    Then you take the URL and put that in channel or project link if so wish.

These channels and links are project specific as currently there are no global functionality for that.
    Therefore you would create a dummy project eg All tasks or something, give view rights only and put the link to the Project Managers Task List portlet page to a channel or as a link.
    My understanding is that the general access rights would limit the tasks a PM can see in the portlet to the ones he or she would see in various projects.
    The difference between object based and query based portlets is that the object based have editable fields (and New button) while query based cannot.

Have a look at the documentation.

• 12.  RE: How to add new attribute to new UX from any object?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 20, 2019 10:20 AM
    Hi Martti - yes, we are looking at improving the Cross-Project Task list in the future as we will want to include the Custom Investment Tasks as well.
    At that time we will refactor it to use the common grid component.
    I don't have a specific timeline for improvements in this area.

• 13.  RE: How to add new attribute to new UX from any object?

Posted Nov 25, 2019 04:21 AM
    Hi Martti,

Your answer really helped me about making channel to some portlate I made in the classic. very nice feature! thanks! :)
    Unfortunately, this is not exactly what I need because adding a channel like you described, can be from a specific project. Is it possible to add external channel in new UX? and put it maybe on the "task" dashboard? or any other generic page?

• 14.  RE: How to add new attribute to new UX from any object?

Posted Nov 25, 2019 06:51 PM
    In 15.5 devoting one project for that is the only way.
    In 15.7.1. you will have the Global links where you can put the link.

Future versions may get global channels and cross project task list based on common  (so that you can add custom fields right there)

• 15.  RE: How to add new attribute to new UX from any object?

Posted Nov 26, 2019 01:43 AM
    Thank you very much!

• 16.  RE: How to add new attribute to new UX from any object?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 20, 2019 10:33 AM
    The screenshot you have of a custom attribute with an API alias is showing you are trying to use an API alias already in use.
    You can set it to another one.
    But as I mentioned earlier, the 'CROSS-PROJECT' or Global TASK GRID is limited in functionality at this time. creating custom attributes or any other stock attributes on the TASK Object won't automatically show up on this grid.

--
    Kathryn Ellis
    Engineering Program Manager
    Product Owner for Clarity PPM
    CA Technologies, A Broadcom Company

• 17.  RE: How to add new attribute to new UX from any object?

Posted Nov 20, 2019 10:38 AM
    Hi , @Kathryn Ellis
    so what is your suggestion? how can a project manager follow all the tasks he open from few projects in one place?
    how can a team member know who gave him the task when he uses the "my tasks" grid?​

• 18.  RE: How to add new attribute to new UX from any object?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 20, 2019 11:10 AM
    It can be managed from the GLOBAL Task Grid, but you won't be able to have any other fields added at this time.
    Martti mentioned creating a portlet that has additional fields - this can be placed from the Modern UX on the new LINKS page (coming out in the 15.7.1 release)- you can create a global link to this portlet.
    Or in the current versions, you can create a 'channel' Module in a project blueprint and have a single project with this blueprint with only this module and give users VIEW access to this project.

• 19.  RE: How to add new attribute to new UX from any object?

Posted Nov 25, 2019 03:54 AM
    thank you Kathryn.

I still don't have the 15.7.1 (I'm 15.5)
    So If I understood you correctly, what Martti suggested couldn't be done until I had the advanced version of ppm?
    Can you elaborate more on how to do what you suggested in older versions? What does 'channel' mean? and how to do it all, step by step? I would very much appreciate it!

• 20.  RE: How to add new attribute to new UX from any object?

Posted Nov 25, 2019 07:48 AM
    As far as I can see channels are in 15.5 documentation see
    https://techdocs.broadcom.com/content/broadcom/techdocs/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/business-management/clarity-project-and-portfolio-management-ppm-on-premise/15-5/using/getting-started-with-the-new-user-experience/new-user-experience-administration-and-configuration/new-user-experience-configure-project-blueprints.html
    So using a channel to display a portlet from the Classic UI should be OK in 15.5