Clarity

View Only
  • 1.  Manage Library option grayed out in OWB

Posted Sep 09, 2020 02:22 PM
    Hello,

In the OWB  software, the Manage Library option seems to be grayed out for some users.

The expectation is to import some custom views, while working with the project.

Could any one please help here? We are in 2.1.2 version of OWB

Thanks,
    Shayari

• 2.  RE: Manage Library option grayed out in OWB

Posted Sep 09, 2020 03:23 PM

Just wondering again...
    For those user who experience the problem was the install done with their Windows ID? I.e. do they see the view icons in the view shortcut bar on the left?

Do the settings in the view library options have valid links? 

• 3.  RE: Manage Library option grayed out in OWB

Posted Sep 10, 2020 12:43 AM
    Yes, the install was done with their Windows ID and the user does not see the view icons on the left.

The custom views are downloaded in the desktop and later imported using Manage library option, unsure what other view library options I have to look out for.

Thanks

• 4.  RE: Manage Library option grayed out in OWB
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 10, 2020 04:13 AM
    I am not sure what exactly is the reason for the Manage Library being disable and grayed out, but I think it relates to the view and view library set up.
    If you do not see the view short cuts on the left (they can be also elsewhere or the whole bar can be disabled)

then it is likely that the library is in a location where OWB cannot access it.

The most common situation is that OWB is used with a different ID than what was used when it was installed. Those settings are user specific in Windows registry.
    If that is the case it can be fixed by moving or copying the Views to another location and setting the required library paths accordingly.
    The view options are accessed from the Menu bar like in Office products

The view and library settings are in Locations

To set a location select a row and click browse and browse.
    If you want a set of views which the user cannot change (Corporte views) they have to be included in a standard view library. OWB provides Standard_en.rwl for that and it includes the OOTB views. It can have other names as well, but the extension is rwl. 
    If you set a user view library that will contain the views that the user can modify.
    The view short cut bar contains both Corporate (indicated with a bray block on the left lower corner) and User views in the sequence and folders they are in the view library.
    That looks like the Windows explorer, but that is just for bookkeeping of the views and the actual location topography can be different

The default location for the views is under Program Files or Program Files (x86). That is fine if the userinstalled him or herself OWB and has write access to the folder.
    Many times that is not the case.
    If a different user installed OWB the views are there, but the registry values are not there and consequently the .location options are blank. Then you just set the locations manually in OWB GUI.
    If the user does not have write access to the folder the user views and User_en.rwl have to be moved to a location where the user has write access.
    If the user is to be able to modify the highlights the .rwh file should also be in such a location.

Hopefully this helps.

• 5.  RE: Manage Library option grayed out in OWB

Posted Sep 10, 2020 08:12 AM
    We manually set the location option for the default view through the OWB GUI. This loads the custom view when the user launches the OWB .
    However the Manage library is still disabled. I'm hoping this is enough as of now. Thanks for the help.

• 6.  RE: Manage Library option grayed out in OWB

Posted Sep 10, 2020 11:40 AM

It appears that I cannot help you with this question either.

When I launch OWB as a user other than the one that installed it

The View shortcut bar is blank as expected, but the Manage Library is not grayed out.
    Unless somebody with more knowledge picks this up open a case with support.
    A workaround (really far fetched) is to copy the views and libraries from a Workstation where you have set them as you like to the workstations where Manage Library is not available to the same locations and set the rights for the user. Then at least you have the views you want.