Clarity

View Only
  • 1.  Question on Rolling Date - Current Date and Time

Posted Sep 11, 2019 01:49 PM
    Hello -
    If I create a custom Project attribute, Current Date, set the default value to Current Date and Time, and 'check' Populate Null Values with the Default, is the Current Date attribute automatically updated each day to be the current date, OR, is the value constant and solely reflects the date on which the attribute was created?

I'd like to create a custom attribute that reflects the current date and is updated as each day goes by - any recommendations on how to do so would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Matt

• 2.  RE: Question on Rolling Date - Current Date and Time
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 12, 2019 03:29 AM
    Unless, I have misunderstood, you want the attribute value to reflect the current date, at all times, across all object instances?
    You could create a calculated attribute, with Result Data Type as Date and just put NOW() in the calculation if you really need it.
    I would be curious to know the use case for it though. What exactly would be the use of such an attribute?

• 3.  RE: Question on Rolling Date - Current Date and Time

Posted Sep 12, 2019 12:07 PM
    Pratyush - you're correct in your understanding, and, thank you very much for your recommended solution.   I have yet to test but in theory, this seems it would work.   Do you know where I can find a listing of every expression available for calculated attributes?   Don't believe I saw "NOW()" in the drop-down selections.

The use case - I'm attempting to create a field "Days Remaining" for on Project object that is calculated Finish Date - Current Date, and there is no OOTB current date field or days remaining/days late field for Project object (only for Tasks sub-object).

• 4.  RE: Question on Rolling Date - Current Date and Time

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 12, 2019 10:58 AM
    The answer to your question = NO
    1. The 'Populate Null Values with Default' only populates existing records that have a NULL value in the field at the time you check the box and click 'Save'.  It is a one-time action to populate data into a field with NULL values.
    2. Once you populate a field, it is a static value that remains 'as-is' - unless it is a virtual, calculated or formula field that is based on other fields or formulas 

As Pratyush suggests, you can create a calculated or formula attribute

• 5.  RE: Question on Rolling Date - Current Date and Time

Posted Sep 12, 2019 12:08 PM
    Very helpful - thank you for your input Kathryn, much appreciated!