Clarity

View Only
  • 1.  Reg Auto Updation of schedule

Posted Oct 31, 2019 08:21 AM
    Is there any way in which if we change the task duration will it automatically change the project finish date without Autoscheduling Options.

• 2.  RE: Reg Auto Updation of schedule

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 03, 2019 02:32 AM
    If you open the project in gantt and add the column Duration to the selected field and update the duration your project end date should move forward. Also if you change your task finish date beyond the project finish date it should move the project finish date also

------------------------------
    Thanks & Regards
    Suman Pramanik
    Principal Support Engineer | Customer Success & Support, Enterprise Software Division
    Broadcom
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Reg Auto Updation of schedule

Posted Nov 03, 2019 05:51 AM
    Just wondering again....
    When should changing task duration change the project finish date?
    Must the project have resources assigned with effort to tasks and be scheduled?
    Should the change take place when the task is shortened, too?

I should not expect the change in task duration to change the project finish date if the task is not on the critical path.

• 4.  RE: Reg Auto Updation of schedule

Posted Nov 04, 2019 05:14 AM
    Hi suman,

When I change the duration (increase) of last task of the project higher than project finish date-> Automatically the Project Finish Date Changes

When I change the duration (decrease) of last task of the project -> Project Finish Date is not Changing and it requires the auto scheduling 

When we change the duration of a predecessor activity, neither the successor activity duration is increased or decreased nor the project finish date is not changing. It requires that we need to schedule even in critical path.

My question is as soon as we change a task duration in critical path and without using auto- scheduling option, is it possible for system to adjust the finish date for a project.
    Is it possible to write a process for that.

• 5.  RE: Reg Auto Updation of schedule
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 04, 2019 07:23 AM
    1. When I change the duration (increase) of last task of the project higher than project finish date-> Automatically the Project Finish Date Changes
    That is standard behavior. The logic includes that the project cannot finish earlier than the last task.

2. When I change the duration (decrease) of last task of the project -> Project Finish Date is not Changing and it requires the auto scheduling
    Typically that would mean that the effort which was scheduled for a certain period of time requires action.
    The system cannot know if the effort is just reduced by the respective amount or redistributed over the new time period or what.

3. When we change the duration of a predecessor activity, neither the successor activity duration is increased or decreased nor the project finish date is not changing. It requires that we need to schedule even in critical path.
    Again the system cannot know if the effort is just reduced by the respective amount or redistributed over the new time period or what. Also the system does not know when a predecessor task is shortened if all the prerequisites are there so that the successor can be started earlier.

My question is as soon as we change a task duration in critical path and without using auto- scheduling option, is it possible for system to adjust the finish date for a project.
    Is it possible to write a process for that.

That is typically the job of the project manager to track the progress of the project and take action accordingly. The software or the system is not and cannot be a project manager. There are too many things to consider.

Yeas, it is possible to write a process which autoschedules the whole projecct following the autoschedule logic if the project manager cannot do that.

• 6.  RE: Reg Auto Updation of schedule

Posted Nov 05, 2019 12:10 AM
    Is there any process that will automatically start doing autoschedule for whole project whenever a duration of task is changed? Kindly share the process logic.

• 7.  RE: Reg Auto Updation of schedule

Posted Nov 05, 2019 02:42 AM
    Not that I am aware.
    I am thinking of a custom job which starts when the duration of the task is changed, the first challenge is that there is already logic in duration as it will be calculated from the dates. Will that interfere.
    The process would would launch the Autoschedule project job.

The next challenges come if there are hundreds of projects and task duration is changed in several of them daily. The job can be heavy.