Clarity

View Only
  • 1.  Resource Management Assistance - ETCs and Allocations

Posted Aug 30, 2019 09:44 AM
    We implemented resource management in October of 2018, that is the beginning of our fiscal year.  Over time, the SWAGs that were entered into the system have started to accumulate without being adjusted.  When we started this process, they decided they were going to use only ETC's and not allocations.  However, June 1 we updated to 15.5.1 and implemented a new Resource Management process using the New UI, which meant, using role requests to request resources from the resource managers.  As part of requesting the roles, we opted to request hours, not an allocation percentage as that was a bit confusing for our teams.

So, once the "hours" are assigned to a resource via a role request, the PM is assigning ETC's to the project tasks the resource is needed.

I have multiple questions here....

1. can we turn of the rollover of ETCs that create this snowplow effect?  Some of these projects are operational items and the hours just keep rolling over due to the inaccurate estimates we used.
    2. how do we go about updating this? Do we change the allocations and then update the ETCs? 
    3. Is there an easy way to update the ETCs once the allocations have been updated?

I'm trying to help them see the value in Resource Management and doing it correctly, but with the carry forward of the ETC's, it's hard for them to see the benefit.  

The upgrade has essentially "broken" resource management in their eyes.

Any help is appreciated.

• 2.  RE: Resource Management Assistance - ETCs and Allocations

Posted Sep 01, 2019 04:40 PM
    Hi Linda

Are you trying to stop ETC's from rolling over on a week to week basis?  eg Plan for 30 hours for next 2 weeks and resource books 15 hours on 1st week.  What you don't want is the 15hrs to roll over to the next week to show 45hrs, it should still be 30hrs?

If so then the 'loading pattern' for this type of assignment should be 'fixed' work.  This is the use it or lose it mode and is perfect for this type of planning.

I may have read your question incorrectly and be off track but let me know if that helps.

Thought I'd get the above answered 1st before suggesting ways to fix as there are a couple of OOTB options to fix your etc's.

Ciao

Michael

• 3.  RE: Resource Management Assistance - ETCs and Allocations

Posted Sep 03, 2019 07:33 AM
    Edited by Linda Grant Sep 03, 2019 07:33 AM
    Michael,

Thank you, that is exactly what i'm asking, is there a way to do this?  Also, can I do this on some projects, but not others? We really only need this on operational projects due to the over estimation.

Thanks,
    Linda

• 4.  RE: Resource Management Assistance - ETCs and Allocations

Posted Sep 04, 2019 04:07 PM
    Hi Linda

You set up the system default in Project Management settings in the admin area.  

The loading pattern is actually at the resource task assignment level so whenever you assign a resource to a task it will pick up the system default which the PM can change as he pleases.  So you could actually have 2 resources with different loading patterns on the same task! eg Michael is assigned to deliver a solution and is given 70 hours over the next 3 weeks.  I may also have planned for a few hours per week of standby support for him over these 3 weeks.

Being an MSP user, I would set Michael's loading pattern as 'uniform' so his ETC moves depending on his usage of his hours.  For the support resource, I set the loading pattern to  'fixed' as it's a use it or lose mode as the support does not roll over to the following weeks.

That's just to show you the flexibility of the system and actual real world planning too.  

If you go to the resource assignment page and you don't see the column, just add it in and you'll see that it's by each assignment.

Hope that helps.

Ciao

Michael

• 5.  RE: Resource Management Assistance - ETCs and Allocations

Posted Sep 04, 2019 11:11 AM
    I'm going to research Michael's suggestion for the ETC's rolling over, but does anyone have any input on the other two items?

• 6.  RE: Resource Management Assistance - ETCs and Allocations

Posted Sep 04, 2019 04:14 PM
    If you planning on updating any data, the best thing to do is to update the ETC and then you'll be able to use the 'Allocate from Estimates' action which will set your allocations to match the allocations.

There is an 'Estimate from Allocations' actions but this will only work for you if you are only using the one default 'effort' task on those projects that you want to do this too.

These are all OOTB solutions without having to write an update script.  Get each PM to sort their projects out and you should be fine! :-)

Ciao

Michael

• 7.  RE: Resource Management Assistance - ETCs and Allocations

Posted Sep 05, 2019 01:45 PM
    Thanks,Michael.

Clarification on the Estimate from Allocations action only working if we have the one default effort task on the projects.  We actually use a project template with specific tasks, so does this mean this won't work for us?

• 8.  RE: Resource Management Assistance - ETCs and Allocations

Posted Sep 05, 2019 02:20 PM
    It will not update any other tasks than the effort. (As it would not know to which task and how much or equal or somethingelse)

• 9.  RE: Resource Management Assistance - ETCs and Allocations
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 05, 2019 04:54 PM
    Hi Linda

As Martti says, it will only update the effort tasks.

If these operational projects are big with lots of resources, there is a cheats way to do it but only if the resource is assigned to one task.  

The driving force for the effort task is the task id, which is '~rmw'.  Let's say you had 15 resources assigned to one of the tasks and your allocations have been corrected.  You could change the task id to '~rmw', select the 15 resources and then select the Estimate from Allocations action.  Don't forget to change your id back to what it was before.  Repeat the process again for the other task.  Again, only useful if the resources are assigned to one task within the project.

Just some suggestions but do test it as I've not used the effort task for a while.  I do multiple task planning without the effort task myself.

Personally I'd just sell it to the PM that they just need to correct their ETC this one time, change to the fixed loading pattern, allocate from estimate and all will be fine going forward :-)

Ciao
    Michael