Clarity

View Only
  • 1.  Timesheet - Approval Groups?

Posted Oct 28, 2019 06:57 AM
    Hi there,
    Would anyone know if it is possible to have a timesheet approved by one of a number of approvers?
    i.e. at the minute, I believe that it is the resource manager that approves the timesheet.
    However, is it possible for another person - for example a project manager to approve a timesheet, rather than the resource manager?
    Is there such a thing as an approval group?
    Many Thanks,
    Karen.

• 2.  RE: Timesheet - Approval Groups?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 28, 2019 07:03 AM
    Hi Karen,

The people having rights to approve timesheets on a given resource is controlled by its permissions.
    You can create groups in Clarity with specific rights to specific resources, or directly assign the rights to the resources.

Have a look at this:
    https://techdocs.broadcom.com/content/broadcom/techdocs/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/business-management/clarity-project-and-portfolio-management-ppm-on-premise/15-7/using/getting-started-with-the-new-user-experience/new-user-experience-enter-hours-and-submit-a-timesheet/new-user-experience-review-and-approve-timesheets.html

So, in summary:
    - There is not such an approval group predefined, but you can work it with the access rights.

HTH,
    Best,
    Raúl

• 3.  RE: Timesheet - Approval Groups?

Posted Oct 30, 2019 05:08 AM
    Hi Raul,
    Thank you for this, I too was wondering about those groups.
    There was reference in the video piece that you sent to a PM approving their piece of work.
    It seemed to suggest that when all pieces of work had been signed off that the timesheet would be automatically approved - is that the correct understanding?
    Could say 3 different PMs sign of work for 3 separate projects.
    Once the 3rd PM has signed off then the timesheet is automatically approved?
    I did have a look at the documentation, but it's not really very specific about the set up.

Many Thanks,
    Karen

• 4.  RE: Timesheet - Approval Groups?
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 28, 2019 07:13 AM
    Hi Karen

You need to consider whether a resource works on more than one project in the same period. If they do, which PM would get to approve the timesheet? What might be good for one PM may not be good for another PM. You have to bear in mind that the whole timesheet is being approved, not just some of it, if you go down the access rights path to grant Timesheet Approve.

Under the circumstances where a resource works on multiple projects you might want to consider using a timesheet process, which sends action items to each PM involved with a timesheet and only shows each PM the work related to their projects. Once all PMs have approved the system will mark the timesheet as approved. This works best in the Classic UI.

Regards,

Steve

• 5.  RE: Timesheet - Approval Groups?

Posted Oct 30, 2019 05:17 AM
    Hi Steve,

Thank you for this, it's really helpful.
    I was indeed wondering about the multiple sign offs as resources tend to work on more than one project.
    I can't seem to find any documentation on set up for this though.
    We currently use the new UI and are 15.5.1.

From your comment is it fair to say then, that currently this would not be supported in the new UI?

Many thanks,
    Karen

• 6.  RE: Timesheet - Approval Groups?

Posted Oct 30, 2019 05:09 PM
    Hi Karen
    I don't know about the current release, but with previous releases it was not possible for timesheets to have workflow processes. In the 'old' UX, timesheet approval could be controlled via action items to the various PMs but I don't believe this is possible with the new UX.

• 7.  RE: Timesheet - Approval Groups?

Posted Oct 31, 2019 04:45 AM
    Hi Alistair,

Many thanks for the confirmation.  In that case, I will stop my search for the grail of the impossible ;)

Karen

• 8.  RE: Timesheet - Approval Groups?

Posted Oct 31, 2019 04:21 PM
    Edited by Alistair Miller Oct 31, 2019 04:22 PM
    Atul Kunkolol and the team ​at Rego Consulting are doing some cool things with timesheets in the new UI.

They may know of a solution.