Clarity

View Only
  • 1.  Accessing Filter Portlet Parameter Values in a Process

Posted Jul 23, 2020 08:44 AM
    Hello All,

I have a Portlet page with a filter portlet and a few other portlets. One of the portlets on the page is based on a Custom Object. My requirement is to create a new instance of the custom object based on the parameter values being passed by the filter portlet. I am trying to use actions to initiate a process for creating the object instance, however I want to be able to use the filter portlet param values to create the instance.

Is this even possible? 

Thank you.

------------------------------
    Cheers!

• 2.  RE: Accessing Filter Portlet Parameter Values in a Process
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 23, 2020 09:56 AM
    "Is this even possible?"

No I don't think so - not as you are describing at least.

Page filter portlets only exist to pass parameters to real portlets, not as a mechanism to save data / initiate jobs, processes etc.

You might be able to get close with a custom portlet that you could pass your filter parameters to ; that portlet then constructed a URL that triggers a "create my custom object instance process" - but I am not sure how complicated that would get (even if it were possible). User would have to click on the URL to trigger the process.

I do think you could functionally achieve what you are describing with another custom object though (set up purely to capture those "parameters") - when the user creates an instance of this new custom object then that could trigger a process which itself created an instance of your original custom object. The user experience would not be what you describe, but that should work.

• 3.  RE: Accessing Filter Portlet Parameter Values in a Process

Posted Jul 27, 2020 09:16 AM
      |   view attached
    Thanks, David. I had thought as much, however the highlighted part in the attached screenshot got my hopes up. I see this option while creating a new Process action on the custom object. I am not entirely sure what it does though. 

Cheers!

• 4.  RE: Accessing Filter Portlet Parameter Values in a Process

Posted Jul 27, 2020 09:27 AM
    ^ that's in the Object configuration though isn't it - when we can define Object Actions (things that appear in the Action drop down on an object-instance page)

So nothing to do with portlet pages / page filters, which is what you are asking about.