Clarity

View Only
  • 1.  Saved Task Views in 15.7.1

Posted Jan 14, 2020 06:30 PM
    We updated our non-Prod environment to 15.7.1 a couple of weeks ago, and I'm in the process of stepping through various usage scenarios.

I had created a number of Picklists and Options within the Task module for a given Project, and then saved Views with some of those Picklists/Options used as filtering criteria and display elements within the Board and Grid Views.

With 15.7.1 now allowing the use of Saved Task Views in Projects for other than the Project that it was created in, since the Picklist was created in a different Project, referencing that saved view in the second Project displays errors based on the fact that the Attributes do not exist. As well, since that was the last View I used (in a different Project) this is the default offered for the next Project viewed.

Since there is no "Null" View available - one that is certified to have absolutely no customization - it seems next to impossible to effectively clear (and be confident that I've cleared) the cause of the errors.

The only resolution to this that I can see is to 1) return to the Project that I created the initial saved View, 2) remove all settings that reference the Project-specific Picklists, then 3) save a new "Base" view that I'm relatively certain is clean, then 4) re-test that View in another Project, watching for warnings and errors.

I am wondering if others have encountered this. If so, what efforts have you made?

Thanks,
    Will

• 2.  RE: Saved Task Views in 15.7.1

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 15, 2020 09:03 AM
    Hi Will,

From what I understand, the best course of action is to create a "default" view for your task lists that will not contain any customized fields so that users who have navigated to, or tried to apply a saved view with a project specific list always have a "safe" view to revert to in order to easily remove any issues.  I believe there is work underway for the next release to improve how view management is handled so that will also help in the long run.

Ming

• 3.  RE: Saved Task Views in 15.7.1

Posted Jan 15, 2020 11:45 AM
    Hi Ming,

Yes, I thought that would be one technique. I think I can come up with something that would be "safe" in all views. It seems that I have to make my changes in the Project that has the customizations; performing edits in a Project without the project-specific Picklists doesn't seem to affect the attributes that generate the warning messages - those fields are still displayed in the first project when using the view that was edited in the second project.

Unfortunately, even though I'm the system administrator, I'm just a user from the application's perspective and so there's a risk that other users suppress the 'Created by Others' views. It seems that views created under accounts that are inactive remain in the system, so that's good to know I'm leaving a legacy, but also possibly bad for the potential of "debris" remaining in the app indefinitely.

• 4.  RE: Saved Task Views in 15.7.1
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 15, 2020 05:24 PM
    Edited by Christopher Hackett Jan 20, 2020 04:55 PM
    [FUTURE ENHANCEMENTS targeted]
    We are continuing to improve the Saved Views and we will have more functionality for 'admin' type of users to set defaults for all users to pick from.  The end-user will have future capability to mark 'favorite' views as well.