Clarity

View Only
  • 1.  Clarity upgrade and Jaspersoft

Posted Feb 24, 2020 06:11 AM
    Hi All,

Need some help regarding clarity upgrade and best way to achieve this. currently we are running clarity 14.2 with business objects. now we have decided to perform upgrade to the latest release, path i am
    planning to approach is 

Clarity 14.2 -> Clarity 15.4 -> Clarity 15.7

I think i also need to include intermediate upgrade to 15.2 and setup data warehouse then do the upgrade to 15.4. 

Is this approach correct ?

Or do i need to make sure DWH is up to date before the Upgrade ?

Also, we are not using Jaspersoft with Clarity 14 14.2 so it is on to install Jaspersoft 7.1 directly after full upgrade to clarity 15.7? not having jaspersoft server up and running can cause any issues? 

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Regards,
    Sonal

• 2.  RE: Clarity upgrade and Jaspersoft

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 24, 2020 09:26 AM
    Hi Sonal

Glad to hear that you are planning on a upgrade, the path i would suggest is below 

14.2 apply latest patch --> upgrade to 15.2 --> upgrade database oracle to Oracle 12 if you are using Oracle --> 15.2 to 15.3 --> 15.3 to 15.7.1  upgrade to 15.7.1 (as that is the latest version) and you will need to implement this workaround from 15.3 for successful upgrade https://ca-broadcom.wolkenservicedesk.com/external/article?articleId=137383

Now once you are into 15.3 you can install Jaspesoft 7.1 and then run the load DWH and come all the way to 15.7.1 

Hope that helps

------------------------------
    Thanks & Regards
    Suman Pramanik
    Sr. Principal Support Engineer | Customer Success & Support, Enterprise Software Division
    Broadcom

• 3.  RE: Clarity upgrade and Jaspersoft

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 24, 2020 10:56 AM
    Hi Sonal

You don't mention any database version implications. 

So based on that I would do 14.2 > 15.3 > 15.7. 
    15.3 is the first version for which Data Warehouse is required. So you don't have to set up Data Warehouse beforehands.
    Once you're on 15.3, set up Data Warehouse, and continue the upgrade. Jaspersoft can be set up either at 15.3 or at the end, 15.7. I would do it at the end, this way you would not have to install content again.

Make sure you apply the solution in the KB Suman suggested.

I would also recommend you go to the latest Clarity release, 15.7.1 as you would then benefit from all the latest fixes we added.

Before upgrading, please check out the Change and Impact Guides for each version in between to see what changes have been done:
    http://techdocs.broadcom.com/content/broadcom/techdocs/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/business-management/clarity-project-and-portfolio-management-ppm-on-premise/15-7-1/release-information/clarity-ppm-change-impact-and-upgrade.html
    Change the version and then go through the document to ensure you're aware of the impacts.

Hope this helps -Nika

• 4.  RE: Clarity upgrade and Jaspersoft

Posted Feb 24, 2020 04:03 PM
    Thank you @Suman Pramanik and @Nika Hadzhikidi

I use 14.2–> 15.2 -> oracle upgrade to 12–> 15.3 -> 15.7.1

I now understand data warehouse setup is requested after 15.3 upgrade. ​​also would like to install jaspersoft at the end. 

however, Is jaspersoft required for running the data warehouse full load job?

Regards,
    Sonal

• 5.  RE: Clarity upgrade and Jaspersoft

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 25, 2020 09:23 AM
    DWH will fail if you dont have jaspersoft as it updates the domain at the end of job. So set up at 15.3 only

Thanks & Regards
    Suman Pramanik
    Sr. Principal Support Engineer | Customer Success & Support, Enterprise Software Division
    Broadcom

• 6.  RE: Clarity upgrade and Jaspersoft

Posted Feb 25, 2020 10:49 PM
    Thanks @Suman Pramanik its really helpful, while doing Clarity 15.3 installation upgrade getting failed, error log says its checking the DWH tables which certainly doesn't exist in my case as i have not implemented DWH yet​​. Does it mean i have to have DWH database created beforehand ?

2/26/20 2:22 PM (SQLTask) Failed to execute: select installed_version datawarehouse_version from (select installed_version from cmn_dwh_install_history where install_id = 'dwhdatabase' order by installed_date desc) where rownum = 1
    2/26/20 2:22 PM (UnknownElement) Task "nsql" finished with error.
    D:\Temp\ca\checkinstall\scripts\imports\dwh-utils.xml:24: java.sql.SQLSyntaxErrorException: [CA Clarity][Oracle JDBC Driver][Oracle]ORA-00942: table or view does not exist

• 7.  RE: Clarity upgrade and Jaspersoft

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 25, 2020 10:53 PM
    HI Sonal

Even in 14.2 we have DWH, any reason you dont have it there. Also are you not running the check install and directly running the upgrade. I would prefer to have DWH available from 14.2 itself

Thanks & Regards
    Suman Pramanik
    Broadcom

• 8.  RE: Clarity upgrade and Jaspersoft

Posted Feb 25, 2020 11:01 PM
    Hi Suman, 

I have DWH database configured in 14.2, but have not used it, during 15.2 upgrade i have disabled it and though to have re-created once 15.3 upgraded.

will it work if 15.3 DWH image restored while upgrading from 15.2 ? or do i have to have it on 15.2?

• 9.  RE: Clarity upgrade and Jaspersoft
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 26, 2020 09:13 AM

Sonal/Suman you both are correct the Load Data Warehouse job needs Jaspersoft to be successful, specifically the second step Dynamic Domain Update.

For this specific situation however the very first time you add DWH in 15.3 you do not have the run the job before the upgrade.

Here is the steps to get it to work as I have done it myself:

1. Once you're at 15.3, create a DWH database as per the documentation:

https://techdocs.broadcom.com/content/broadcom/techdocs/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/business-management/clarity-project-and-portfolio-management-ppm-on-premise/15-7-1/installing-and-upgrading/install-clarity-ppm/install-and-configure-the-data-warehouse.html

1. Enter the details in the CSA, create the DBLINK by entering its name in there and hitting Save
    2. Test the DBLINK to ensure it works (doc above has the instruction)
    3. Restart the services
    4. Connect to Clarity - Administration - System Options and enter DWH Entity, also select Weekly-Monthly-Fiscal period data to be included, Save
    5. Stop the services, apply the JDK KB as per Suman's comment and start the upgrade to 15.7.1
    6. Once on 15.7.1, add the Jaspersoft server in CSA, install the content and run the DWH jobs

So in summary you can go to 15.3, then set up DWH as above and then it should work to proceed to 15.7.1 and just add Jaspersoft after that. This way you could save some time too.

-Nika