Clarity

View Only
  • 1.  Custom sub-object i2p conversion using object mappings anyone?

Posted Oct 16, 2020 03:52 PM
    Edited by Srini Venkat Oct 16, 2020 03:53 PM
    We have a requirement to create identical sub-objects under idea and project then copy over the sub-object records under idea to the one under project during idea to project conversion.

The ootb idea to project conversion does not copy over sub-object records so my thought was to use the "Convert Object" action which requires a mapping entry to be created in odf_object_mapping per article

https://knowledge.broadcom.com/external/article?articleId=42155

To test this, I tried the following in 15.8.1:

• Created a subobject to idea srini_test_idea_sub with just one custom string field "dummy"
    • Created a subobject to project srini_test_prj_sub with just one custom string field "dummy"
    • Xogged in the mapping to link the two objects
    • Created a one-step process to use the "Convert Object" action, using the mapping created above
    • Granted all the rights needed for the object & processes
    • Created test idea sub-object instance on a converted idea (so the destination project exists)
    • Went to the processes tab of the sub-object instance on idea and started the one-step process that I built above
    • Expected: The process completes successfully transferring the sub-object instance
    • Actual: Errors out because odf_parent_id field is null during the insert of the project sub-object record 
    Has anyone tried this before? There is a field called PARENT_MAPPING_CODE in odf_object_mapping which probably needs to be pointed to this, likely. The error message looks encouraging as the SQL is doing exactly what I want it to do ... it is inserting a record into the project side sub-object. Only missing info is the odf_parent_id of the record which it should somehow find automatically. I've attached the xog files for the two custom objects, the xog for mapping and the error message in case anyone wants to take a look. Of course, if this doesn't work, I can simply create a custom gel script to copy the sub-object records from idea to project using custom object instance xog. The convert object / object mapping approach is more of a technical curiosity since this doesn't seem to a documented feature other than in this technical article.

Other option is to create an investment sub-object and use it under both idea and project. But that will not provide any additional advantages during conversion and it may not allow the use of object mapping at all as both source and destination objects will be the same. Right?

Thanks!

Attachment(s)

xml
    srini_test_idea_sub.xml   18 KB 1 version
    xml
    srini_test_prj_sub.xml   18 KB 1 version

• 2.  RE: Custom sub-object i2p conversion using object mappings anyone?

Posted Oct 16, 2020 04:00 PM
    Attached process that uses convert object action and the error messages during execution mentioned above.

Attachment(s)

txt
    Error Messages.txt   3 KB 1 version
    xml
    convert_object_process.xml   18 KB 1 version

• 3.  RE: Custom sub-object i2p conversion using object mappings anyone?

Posted Oct 16, 2020 04:18 PM

I don't know if this is possible in your organization:

• Keep idea approval simple, using out of the box capabilities.
    • If approved as an Idea, convert to project
    • Then complete the details in the project and have a project approval process

Sort of a 'two step' approval process.

This could avoid the inevitable errors that occur, IMO and experience, when copy processes fail.  This may not work for your organization, but if it does, would like to know if this reply helped.

• 4.  RE: Custom sub-object i2p conversion using object mappings anyone?

Posted Oct 16, 2020 04:55 PM
    Thanks for the thoughts but that is not an option here. I'm also used to using idea as a "project request form" + "future wish list" in previous organizations. But this is a different situation.