Clarity

View Only

Duties management using timesheet (including costs)

• 1.  Duties management using timesheet (including costs)

Posted Dec 13, 2019 08:04 AM
    Hi,

We would like to introduce the management of the duties using Clarity PPM "as much as" simple for managers and I need some help on my approach. Also, I would be pleased you let me know how you did it.

For the context :
    • Someone can be assigned a week in duty and there's a fixed cost for that (e.g. 700$). Then depending on the number of hours of duty he will do, following formulas are applied :
      • Between 1 minute to 8 hours in the week : the daily rate of the resource is applied
      • Between 8 hours to 16h in the week : the daily rate of the resource is multiplied by 1,25
      • More than 16h in the week : the daily rate of the resource is multiplied by 1,5
    • We are using the modern UI of clarity PPM 15.6.1 
    • It's perhaps a detail but timesheets are sliced per week (Monday to Sunday) except when it's the end/begin of a month; in such case the is splitted in 2 timesheets. I don't know the historical reason about that but this is the usage

Managers expectations are the following:
    • The cost / budget of duties is managed in a dedicated investment via the financial 
    • The forecast of duties is done by the resource manager via the Staffing modern UI screen
    • The record of duties is done by the resource via the timesheet modern UI and approuve by the resource manager

Based on my knowledge and the level of complexity for applying different rates, this is what I believe we can to do :
    • Create a duty project for each direction in order to define plan costs / budget
    • Each duty project will have a 3 tasks with different charge codes in order to distinguish the rate to apply e.g. "week duty from 1 minute to 8h", "week duty from 8h to 16h" and "week duty more than 8h". So it's up the the resource to fill the appropriate task in the timesheet depending on the number of hour he has done on duty.
    • In the financial matrix, create a record for each duty charge code/daily rate and setup the cost rate accordingly. I have hundreds rate...so this will be the painful part to be managed
    Main concern with this solution is I don't see a good approach to setup fixed costs (whatever the resource has worked or not).
    A workaround would be to define another task in the duty projet with a dedicated charge (e.g. fixed cost week duty) then define always only 1h in the timesheet in order to get to right cost applied....but this is an ugly workaround from my point of view.

Any ideas on my solution or other suggestions are welcomed !

------------------------------
    Patrick
    ------------------------------