Clarity

View Only
  • 1.  Project Manager - Security Group Access Rights - Question

Posted Feb 07, 2019 01:47 PM

Hello CA Community - 

I'm wondering which access rights are correct to assign to the Project Manager which permits them to access only their projects, or projects to which they are staffed?

Given the various "Project - ______ - All" access rights, are there similar rights which apply solely to projects they manage or are participants of?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Matt

• 2.  Re: Project Manager - Security Group Access Rights - Question

Posted Feb 07, 2019 01:49 PM

Also, I understand this may be accomplished via Instance-level rights, however I'm hoping to obtain clarification as to how the access will apply to new projects as well.  Any information is helpful, thank you.  Please feel free to ask me questions if needed.

Matt

• 3.  Re: Project Manager - Security Group Access Rights - Question

Posted Feb 07, 2019 03:13 PM

The options are

- global which allow access to all. all current an all future

- OBS which typically  allow access to all associated with an OBS unit (unit only, unit and descendant or unit and ancestors or even unit, descendants and ancestors = any unit in the specific OBS), though you might not have OBS based on the PM's. Again all current an all future

- instance which allow access to the currently named projects, all future projects would have to be added to the rights

You can give any of those to groups which is recommended if there are more than one person with the same rights. Otherwise not.

Have you established that assigning the Project Managers to be the PM's of the projects they should have access does not accomplish what you want. Or are there more than one person who should have those rights to any single project?

• 4.  Re: Project Manager - Security Group Access Rights - Question

Posted Feb 07, 2019 05:23 PM

What I'm trying to figure out is assigning instance rights to future projects.  My organization does not want to give PMs the global rights as these include every project in the system.

Is it possible to assign instance rights to current and future projects?   If not, is there a workaround?   Surely we are not the first organization to prefer PMs only view their own projects...

Thanks,

Matt

• 5.  Re: Project Manager - Security Group Access Rights - Question

Posted Feb 07, 2019 06:01 PM

Hi Matt,

We do that in our organization, I add PMs to PMO Project Manager and PMO Project Manager Extended Groups, and assign them in Manager field of the project. They only see their list of projects and I am not relying on instance level rights. You can try creating a copy of those groups if you don't want to use same as it is and change the global rights as you require.

Regards,

Praneeth

• 6.  Re: Project Manager - Security Group Access Rights - Question

Posted Feb 07, 2019 11:03 PM

There is no automatic OOTB way of giving instance rights to new or future projects.

"assign them in Manager field of the project." has to be done manually.
    You could do that with a custom process if you can specify the criteria for picking the PM for each project.

• 7.  Re: Project Manager - Security Group Access Rights - Question
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 08, 2019 03:56 AM

I'm wondering which access rights are correct to assign to the Project Manager which permits them to access only their projects, or projects to which they are staffed?

Actually you have to do NOTHING to achieve this;

• A resource who is the named Project Manager of a project automatically gets (project edit) access to that project.
    • A resource who is staffed upon a project (i.e. a Team member) automatically gets view access to that project.

You can supplement those access rights in many many different way through GLOBAL, OBS or INSTANCE rights, but that is up to your organisation's requirements and can potentially get pretty complicated so make sure you understand how it all works.

• 8.  Re: Project Manager - Security Group Access Rights - Question

Posted Feb 08, 2019 09:51 AM

Thanks to everyone who provided input.   The issue is resolved. 

Matt