Clarity

View Only
  • 1.  Error while exporting XML from excel  -  Xog of projects (CA PPM)

Posted Sep 24, 2018 11:39 AM

Ders(as), I'm working with some data migrations. When I try to export the XML from excel it generates the error

I made the import through the XML map, the data was inserted in the column successfully. However at the time of exporting generates the error:

There is a problem with the specified Xml or schema source.

Excel version: Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010.

I have already performed the informed procedures on this question

How to use Microsoft Excel to Map Data into XOG Files, then Update Directly to CA PPM 

or access here:  https://communities.ca.com/thread/241735461

• 2.  Re: Error while exporting XML from excel  -  Xog of projects (CA PPM)

Posted Sep 24, 2018 01:14 PM

Is your data single level or does it have levels? Only single level is expected to work.

As Federico says you are expected to get the error because the validation cannot be made against XSD file. Instead you ignore the error and let Excel create the schema.

That is

The xml file must have simple non-hierarchical structure so for eg. users remove groups, rights, partitions, OBS etc.

Excel will give an error about the schema which is OK as you want Excel to create the schema.

Once you have go your data populated on the spread sheet and want more and want to use copy, do not copy lines but only cells from the columns where you already have data.

Another thing is do you have non ascii data or get non ascii characters in XML tags? If you do try a sample with ascii only.

• 3.  Re: Error while exporting XML from excel  -  Xog of projects (CA PPM)

Posted Sep 24, 2018 03:07 PM

Urmas,  Thanks for the reply, but I need xog_projects to read obs because these projects will be migrated to another environment and have assosiation.

my xml stayed like this. This is only a part of the exported xml

It's still far from the original xml.

Any suggestions for improvement? I noticed that the columns were numbered

Atenciosamente,

• 4.  Re: Error while exporting XML from excel  -  Xog of projects (CA PPM)
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 25, 2018 01:31 AM

Basically you are saying you want to create an XML file like

My understanding is that the answer is you cannot.

You can only get the attributes under the Project tag. The other tags like Resources, Tasks and OBS create hierarchy.

Some of the other options  for creating the xml file are

Create a query based portlet with all the data you need and export to Excel

Use MS Word Mailmerge to create the xml file from the exported Excel file. That has to be saved first as a proper xls file first.

User Excel formulas to add xml tags to the data in your exported Excel file. First for jut one row of data and then copy for the subsequent rows.

Do it completely manually

Read out from the old system, edit the output files manually and write into the new system.

Use xml tools. There the learning threshold and setup may be the problem.

Mail merges could be the fastest way

Excel formulas give better options for formatting, but may be more cumbersome. Once you get going easy to make modifications. I have used this to create hierarchical OBS structures in Niku 6, 7, 8 and later.

• 5.  Re: Error while exporting XML from excel  -  Xog of projects (CA PPM)

Posted Sep 25, 2018 09:56 AM

Urmas, thanks for the clarifications and recommendations.

We use as a solution the use of the notepad ++ macro to perform the ID substitutions for the new environment.

We used the Xog Query Brigh - IT ROI tool to generate the query and map the IDs.

Then we perform the search between IDs and new IDs.

No need to use excel ..

But his clarifications and recommendations were key to success.

Kind regards.