Clarity

View Only
  • 1.  CA PPM for non project activities

Posted Mar 07, 2017 09:31 AM

Hello guys,

I have a problem and i want to know how the others companies deal with this...

Managers and supervisors want to control non project activities in CA PPM with the schedule tool.

I'm trying to tell them about the main purpose of CA PPM. I think this will become a messy.

I think a good ideia is to use CA PPM other works objects and create "Administrative" and "Support" .If they want to show indicators about that, they can use sharepoint to register and create custom indicators.

Any ideias about that?

Best regards.

• 2.  Re: CA PPM for non project activities

Posted Mar 07, 2017 10:18 AM

Hello,

CA PPM is not just limited to Projects. You can certainly use it's other modules in detail and omit the Projects part if not required. For example: you can use CA PPM for Demand, Process and Timesheet Management alone or may be for integrations with JasperSoft, etc., if your requirements are around these modules or reports. One can also customize the CA PPM tool to match their work, however, any customization leads to issues if not properly developed and I am not very sure if the CA Support Team would be able to extend their support to this in full. Anyway I would like to hear from others too about how and what they use CA PPM primarily for.

Suhail.

• 3.  Re: CA PPM for non project activities

Posted Mar 08, 2017 02:26 PM

Hi,

Maybe i was not very clear... The question is...  How to deal when managers want to control any other activities than only projects?

I know we can use the Other Works object but this doesn't have option to schedule tasks.

Best regards.

• 4.  Re: CA PPM for non project activities

Posted Mar 08, 2017 03:12 PM

Can you use the project object, but just use different project types (and use different templates)?  We've had several looks at using other investment types to control other types of work, but have always come back to projects because of some weird and wonderful "must have" requirement that exists on projects but not other types.

• 5.  Re: CA PPM for non project activities

Posted Mar 08, 2017 03:24 PM

Update: if you haven't already, please up-vote this idea:

https://communities.ca.com/ideas/103016268

• 6.  Re: CA PPM for non project activities

Posted Mar 09, 2017 08:13 AM

Hi,

Humm.. i expected this but i think this is not the best solution because we are making a mess of projects/non-projects...

• 7.  Re: CA PPM for non project activities
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 09, 2017 12:35 PM

You can use projects with a distinctly different project type, filter those out from your "real" projects, and still have the scheduling capability.

I would recommend that you use Other Work with one created for each of the different standard work types. Then "schedule" people to work on those via the Allocation Detail (or Team Detail in the Other Work) and put in the planned hours per week (or day, month, etc.). Other Work creates the ETC equal to the Allocation automatically. Then you can view the overall allocation/availability from the Resource Management portlets/pages.

• 8.  Re: CA PPM for non project activities

Posted Mar 10, 2017 08:01 AM

Hi Janet,

This is what i do. Thanks a lot.

I just wanted to check how other people were dealing with it.

• 9.  Re: CA PPM for non project activities

Posted Mar 14, 2017 03:36 PM

I had a customer implement this about 9 years ago because it gave the manager the ability to add department specific tasks. We called the attribute "Project Type" and had the following values "Idea", "Project", and "Admin".  We had idea as the idea object was not as "full" as it is now.