Clarity

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

OWB - Open Workbench Functionality

• 1.  OWB - Open Workbench Functionality

Posted Jul 12, 2017 07:00 AM

Hi,

I am new user to OWB and would like to to know the functionality of the tool and how dose it help in CA PPM ?

ex : if a new phase is created will it automatically populate the open started task of different phase under it.

Regards,

Frederic 

Chris_Hackett - Could you please help me in this.

• 2.  Re: OWB - Open Workbench Functionality

Posted Jul 12, 2017 07:13 AM

You could start by looking at the documentation

Manage Projects with Open Workbench (OWB) - CA PPM - 15.2 - CA Technologies Documentation

You could also clarify your questioon, what do you mean with

if a new phase is created will it automatically populate the open started task of different phase under it.

• 3.  Re: OWB - Open Workbench Functionality

Posted Jul 12, 2017 08:56 AM

urmas Thanks for putting your comment.

The issue which I am facing is, there are already two phase which are created in the OWB for a project and when i create a new phase under the same project, automatically the tasks under the second phase is getting populated under the new created phase. Is this OWB functionality?  

• 4.  Re: OWB - Open Workbench Functionality

Posted Jul 12, 2017 10:56 AM

I am still not sure I follow you.

In OWB  you can insert a WBS item (task or phase) in the middle.

If that is a task, then that will just be in that position in the sequence and will not change the existing tasks.

If that is a phase all existing  tasks below that until the next phase will be under the new phase.

That is the standard OWB functionality.

If you do not want any of the existing tasks to be under the new phase, then you should create the new phase at the bottom of the list.

Maybe that answers your question.

• 5.  Re: OWB - Open Workbench Functionality

Posted Jul 13, 2017 04:14 AM

Yes, thats the same issue which I am facing. thanks for making me understand its the functionality.

But want to know will the auto populate of the task under the new phase depends upon any task status?

Here the new phase is not create in the middle its created below.

lets say the existing phases are 2016 and 2017  and while creating the new phase 2018 all the tasks under the 2017 getting populated under 2018 phase. 

• 6.  Re: OWB - Open Workbench Functionality

Posted Jul 13, 2017 05:36 AM

When you add a new item is does not affect the properties of the existing tasks ie. actuals, ETC, % complete, status, assigned resources and such like.

If the new item is a phase ie a parent item, then data from its children task is summarized to the new item instead of where they were summarized before adding the new item.

If the new item is a task the the task data is summarized as before  plus the data from the new item is summarized to its parent.

Sounds like in your case the data from the 2017 tasks will be summarized under the 2018 phase because of the position where it is created.

• 7.  Re: OWB - Open Workbench Functionality

Posted Jul 18, 2017 04:21 AM

I am not sure how the position is effecting in this case since I am creating the new phase under all other phase.

• 8.  Re: OWB - Open Workbench Functionality

Posted Jul 18, 2017 04:31 PM

If the new phase is at the bottom of the WBS then no tasks jump under it as per standard OWB functionality.

That is when task indentation and type have the normal relationship. However, it is possible to break that relationship in Clarity by playing with indentation and setting it not to match the task type. That could cause tasks jumping.

• 9.  Re: OWB - Open Workbench Functionality
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 09, 2017 06:24 AM

Its a bug in the system.

When all the phases are collapsed and creates a new phase under the old phases, the tasks of the old phase comes under the new phase. 

Workaround : Expand all the phases and creates the new phase.

• 10.  Re: OWB - Open Workbench Functionality

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 09, 2017 08:00 AM

This is the bug:

DE35699: When a new phase is created in OWB, existing tasks are getting auto populated under the same

Is currently being reviewed by development