Clarity

View Only
  • 1.  Waterline Reporting

Posted Feb 03, 2017 04:25 PM

In advanced reporting, where will I find the attributes for Above the waterline and Rank that are found on waterline portlets? I want to generate reports for non-ca ppm users to see above line projects.

• 2.  Re: Waterline Reporting

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 08, 2017 12:00 PM

The attribute is in the Portfolio Investment Object. I am not sure where that is in the Data Warehouse.

• 3.  Re: Waterline Reporting

Posted Feb 08, 2017 12:35 PM

Thanks Janet. I just looked in the Data Warehouse Investment object and the Portfolio data elements. I cannot find this value. I wonder what it takes to get an attribute added to the data warehouse so it can be reported against.

• 4.  Re: Waterline Reporting

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 09, 2017 02:24 PM

You could just send a screen capture. Whether over or under the line is a dynamic property; I don't think it is stored in the database. Imagine if it were and you saw rows for project names and planned cost values followed by 0 or 1 for above or below. The data might be different in two seconds if we drag the waterline down to allow more planned cost in our Above Waterline total, as shown below:

If we look at the Studio object for Portfolio Investment, the Above Waterline attribute is not stored in a table. Its value is temporary (virtual) and assigned based on changing ranking rules and it might also depend on other data. A project might be under one day and over the next as budget or actuals change.

In Windows 7 or higher, try using Snipping Tool (built-in). You can also right-click in Chrome or Edge (Windows 10) and create a PDF of the portfolio view from PPM.

In CA PPM 14.4 or higher, also look for the Portfolio Plan Changes - Waterline and Rank report. You will see the investments and their rank and can export to a variety of popular formats. Look for the Show Above Waterline Only? check box, but remember that virtual value only makes sense if you recently updated the ranking. You can rank investments by manually dragging and dropping investments above and below the waterline, editing the rank number, or defining and running ranking rules.

Hope this helps.

• 5.  Re: Waterline Reporting

Posted Mar 16, 2017 09:45 AM

I realize this is dynamic but we want to create point in time snapshots of it. The way we manage our waterlines is more of a weekly exercise. Having this field in the Data Warehouse only enhances the reporting capability of CA PPM.