Clarity

View Only
  • 1.  Prevent select users from accessing the system

Posted Dec 01, 2016 10:07 AM

With regards to user security in CA PPM.  I am on version 15.1 and am looking to lock all users out of the system with the exception of a group of admins who need to perform admin functions without other users being able to access the system. 

Is anyone aware of a way to lock users out or deny permissions to the system for users?

• 2.  Re: Prevent select users from accessing the system

Posted Dec 01, 2016 10:36 AM

On-demand or on-premise?

There was some discussion I recall about various on-premise ways to do this before - I'll find the thread...

EDIT : Is there a way to temporarily disable Clarity On Demand ? 

(not the thread I was actually remembering, I thought somewhere I'd suggested stopping the app service and bringing it up on a port that only admins knew about)

• 3.  Re: Prevent select users from accessing the system

Posted Dec 01, 2016 10:39 AM

I apologize for not being specific.  This is an on demand hosted solution.

Thank You

David Darnley

• 4.  Re: Prevent select users from accessing the system

Posted Dec 01, 2016 10:43 AM

^ shame, I don't have a good answer then sorry. The comment in that thread I linked to above about doing something at your infrastructure level to direct users away from the application URL to a holding page might still work.

There was this "IDEA" ; Maintenance Mode Option  but not implemented as far as I know. 

You could inactive all the security groups apart from admin ones - that might serve the purpose, but wouldn't be a clean user-experience (I would imagine users would still login but then just not see any menu options - would need to test I think)

• 5.  Re: Prevent select users from accessing the system

Posted Dec 01, 2016 11:12 AM

Understood – I appreciate you looking into this.

Thank You

David Darnley

• 6.  Re: Prevent select users from accessing the system

Posted Dec 01, 2016 01:06 PM

We just did the above

• 7.  Re: Prevent select users from accessing the system

Posted Dec 01, 2016 11:04 AM

There is not such as OOTB, but you can create a process/job to:

* get a log of active users

* update status to "LOCK" except admins

* Once ready, run another process/job to update those users locked back to "ACTIVE"

When locking users it will not affect any running processes, Action Items or so. If you create a nice gel + a custom object for logging/archiving, it will work nicely.

• 8.  Re: Prevent select users from accessing the system

Posted Dec 01, 2016 11:05 AM

I forgot to mention you can change CSS theme to add a message on login screen so user can know why they cannot login.

• 9.  Re: Prevent select users from accessing the system

Posted Dec 01, 2016 11:13 AM

Ahhh – this sounds great – something I can definitely investigate.  Thanks for the help

Thank You

David Darnley

• 10.  Re: Prevent select users from accessing the system

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 01, 2016 04:49 PM

In CA PPM 15.1, you can lock users in Administration -> Resources screen by selecting the checkboxes and clicking the Lock button. You can then unlock the users by filtering for Status of Lock, and selecting the checkboxes and clicking the Activate button.

Depending on the number of users, this may be an effective solution. You are limited to doing 20 users at once, so it may be time consuming for a large number of users. If you have more than one administrator, you can divide and conquer by having one start at the begining of the alphabet, another start in the middle, then another start at the end.

You will need to be sure not to lock out the administrator's accounts.