Clarity

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Update to Oracle JAVA 1.7.0.95 by RedHat - Commercial Features used by CA PPM?

• 1.  Update to Oracle JAVA 1.7.0.95 by RedHat - Commercial Features used by CA PPM?

Posted Mar 15, 2016 10:25 AM

Hello,

I hope someone can help me with a question concerning Java Features used by CA PPM:

When Updating to Oracle JAVA 1.7.0.95, which is provided by RedHat for RedHat customers, for licencing reasons one has to be certain that CA PPM ( in this case specifically CA PPM 13.1.0.5) doesn't use any of the following Commercial Features:

-Java Flight Recorder

-Java Mission Control

-Java Advanced Management Console

-MSI Enterprise JRE Installer

-JRockit Flight Recorder

-JRockit Mission Control Console observability

-JRockit Mission Control Memory Leak Detector observability

-JRE Usage Tracking

-JRockit Real Time, Deterministic GC

For a more detailed view of the features listed above, please see table 1.1 at this link: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/terms/products/index.html

I am not familiar with any of the features listed above.

Can anybody with knowledge of CA PPM elaborate on those features and if they are connected to CA PPM 13.1?

Any help or explanations would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Best regards

Felix

• 2.  Re: Update to Oracle JAVA 1.7.0.95 by RedHat - Commercial Features used by CA PPM?
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 15, 2016 03:37 PM

We do not use those features from within the product.  If you had the commercial license to use those features, they would actually work (e.g. flight recorder and mission control can certainly capture data from CA PPM's JVMs), but you would have to explicitly setup your environment and JVM parameters to enable it yourself it would not be automatic and does not require Clarity to contain any code to enable or use them.  So there's no chance or risk of these features being deployed or used inadvertently by your normal use of the CA PPM software, and this applies to all versions and patches to-date.