Clarity

View Only
  • 1.  Jaspersoft Report : NullPointer exception on reports

Posted Sep 14, 2015 03:09 PM

Clarity 14.2 (patch 5)

DB Oracle 11G

Hello,

When trying to view one of the default reports, I get the following error.

Unexpected error

java.lang.NullPointerException 
    at com.jaspersoft.jasperserver.api.engine.jasperreports.service.impl.EngineServiceImpl.executeQuery(EngineServiceImpl.java:2146) 
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57) 
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:606) 
    at org.springframework.aop.support.AopUtils.invokeJoinpointUsingReflection(AopUtils.java:319) 
    at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.invokeJoinpoint(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:183) at 

jasper_error.JPG

Any ideas why I'm getting this error?

I've double checked the configurations but can't seem to find what's missing.

• 2.  Re: Jaspersoft Report : NullPointer exception on reports
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 14, 2015 04:23 PM

Hi:

Are you getting this on all OOTB reports or only Project Cost and Effort? Do you have the same issue when viewing the report on Jaspersoft server as opposed to CA PPM Embedded view?

Also, what is the exact Clarity version, have you installed any patches on 14.2?

I have seen similar entries when there was an issue to connect to the exact Datasource. In this case debug on com.jaspersoft.jasperserver.api.engine should help, for more information on how to enable it please refer to:Jaspersoft Tips and tricks : Part 2: How to troubleshoot Jaspersoft issues

Kind Regards

Nika Hadzhikidi

• 3.  Re: Jaspersoft Report : NullPointer exception on reports

Posted Sep 15, 2015 09:23 AM

Hello Nika,

I'm getting the error for many OOTB reports. I didn't have time to test ALL of them one by one.

I tried using superuser to login in jasper and view the reports, and the error is the same.

The version is: 14.2.0.237 05 12

I've upgraded from 13.3 to 14.2 and installed cumulative patch 5.

• 4.  Re: Jaspersoft Report : NullPointer exception on reports

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 15, 2015 01:31 PM

Okay, thanks, in this case it will be helpful for us to get some debug. Please enable debug on the NullPointer error as per above, then retry and provide your jasperserver.log for review. Thank you!

• 5.  Re: Jaspersoft Report : NullPointer exception on reports

Posted Sep 15, 2015 02:34 PM

Nika,

The client was in a hurry, so unfortunatelly I was forced to reinstall jasper entirely. I managed to solve the problem by doing so, and recreating the OOTB reports. Sorry for not being able to provide any valuable info on the issue, but thanks for trying to help. This information about troubleshooting will definetely be useful in the future.

• 6.  Re: Jaspersoft Report : NullPointer exception on reports

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 15, 2015 02:36 PM

Great, thanks for letting us know Bruno!

• 7.  Re: Jaspersoft Report : NullPointer exception on reports

Posted Sep 15, 2015 11:36 AM

I ran into a Null Pointer exception on all Project-based reports a couple of months ago.  What we found was that the encoding of one of the Input Controls had been changed.   While we had checked/reviewed all of the reports, we'd not considered checking the Input Controls, which are developed separately from the reports themselves.

Before you go through all the input controls though, check a couple of your reports to see if you can find one or more common input controls - this would at least help you get started.

Thanks,

Nathan Arp

• 8.  Re: Jaspersoft Report : NullPointer exception on reports

Posted Nov 30, 2015 05:03 PM

I raised a separate thread jaspersoft java.lang.NullPointerException  as I did not find answer in this thread.