Clarity

View Only
  • 1.  Charge_code in PPA_WIP where it comes from?

Posted Apr 28, 2015 10:25 AM

Hi All,

I have 2 questions because couldn't able to identify columns in ppa_wip table.

1.) Could you please explain me from where Charge_code column in PPA_WIP table comes from?

2.) Could you please explain me from where Cost_type column in PPA_WIP table comes from?

I thought Charge_code comes from project but could find out situation that in ppa_wip table for the same project exists 2 different codes:

Also I thought Cost_type comes from Task cost type, but I could able to found cases where these are different.

Capex_Opex.JPG

Capex_Opex2.JPG

Notes:

- Capital means CAPEX
    - Operating means OPEX

- Transaction cost type is cost_type column from PPA_WIP table. Task cost type is column from PRTASK table joined to ppa_wip table.

Many thanks

Matej

• 2.  Re: Charge_code in PPA_WIP where it comes from?

Posted Apr 28, 2015 10:46 AM

Hi Matej,

As per my understanding the Charge Code and Cost Type attributes are related to a particular Financial Transaction. They are furthermore related to the Cost Plan Details sub-object.

The Cost Type attribute is even available at the Task and at the Project levels. What exactly are your requirements related to the Charge Code and Cost Type attributes?

Suhail.

• 3.  Re: Charge_code in PPA_WIP where it comes from?

Posted Apr 29, 2015 02:31 AM

Hi Suhail,

Questions are:

1.) Could you please explain me from where Charge_code column in PPA_WIP table comes from?

2.) Could you please explain me from where Cost_type column in PPA_WIP table comes from?

If you don't understand I'll try to explain on the example. You have task1 which is Opex type and project1 with Opex type also.

For resource1 you tracked time into timesheet. You will run Post timesheets job. Then data will appear in IMP_TRANSACTIONIMPORT table. In this table is column charge_code.

From which table/object it comes from? Then you will run Post transactions to financials. Data will appear in PPA_TRANSCONTROL table. In this table is also column cost_type.

The same question. Running Post to wip job only move this data to table PPA_WIP. If this columns would refer to project or task cost types/charge codes, it should be the same

but according to my examples you can see it doesn't.

Thanks

Matej

• 4.  Re: Charge_code in PPA_WIP where it comes from?

Posted Apr 29, 2015 03:38 AM

As far as the charge code goes what comes on the timesheet is the task charge code, if the task has not any, then the system looks for the parent tasks if they have then the the closest parent task charge code comes.

If the parent tasks do not have then the project charge code comes. If the project does not have any then the timesheet charge code is blank.

Regardless whether there is a value or it is blank the user can enter another value.

When you verify the charge codes in in WIP, you must compare it primarily to the timeentry charge code

As said that can be different form the task/parent task/project charge code.

I should assume the cost type behaves in a similar manner.

• 5.  Re: Charge_code in PPA_WIP where it comes from?
    Best Answer

Posted May 05, 2015 10:33 AM

Urmas is correct here.  The Charge Code and Cost Type attributes in PPA_WIP have nothing to do with the Cost Plans. It all depends on the Timesheet, which gets it's value from the tasks (if specified), if not, it inherits it from the parent tasks, then the project.

Cost Plans are not required, so the PPA_WIP values are completely independent of the Cost Plans.

-Doug

• 6.  Re: Charge_code in PPA_WIP where it comes from?

Posted Apr 29, 2015 04:48 AM

I do agree with Urmas. About the Cost Type, the Task Cost Type is dependent on the Cost Plan Transaction Cost Type. When a new Cost Plan Transaction is created with a Charge Code and Actuals, it is related to a particular Task present within that Project. Depending upon the Grouping Attributes selected for a specified Cost Plan Transaction i.e. Cost Type, Transaction Class and Charge Code; the Cost Type attribute gets populated against a specific Charge Code, which in turns affects the Cost Type at the Task level. I am not very sure about the Cost Type at the Project level as by default, the Cost Type at the Project level is set to Operating. It can be changed to Capital depending on the Charge Code selected for a particular Project, but, changing it to Capital may have adverse effects on the Actual or Planned Capital and Operating Cost at the Portfolio Investments level.

Suhail.

• 7.  Re: Charge_code in PPA_WIP where it comes from?

Posted May 07, 2015 11:28 AM

Hi,

When generating transactions from posted timesheets, I would guess that transaction cost types comes from the resource transaction class (declared on the resource financial properties).

Just guessing, because it make some time since the last time I worked with ppa_wip and timesheets together...

Regards,

Roberto barra