Clarity

View Only
  • 1.  File Upload Query

Posted Oct 05, 2015 07:24 AM

Hi all,

for open cases is there a maximum file size capable of being uploaded using the Full Client?

I need to upload a 25gb database backup to a case.

I'm using IE 8 and have installed JRE 8

The file transfer process begins but after a very short time - too short for a 25gb size file certainly, it says that the transfer is finished. But obviously CA are saying the file is not received.

I think that the firewall does allow me to upload files as I have no problems when using the thin client.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice on how we can get the file successfully to CA?

Thanks.

• 2.  Re: File Upload Query
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 05, 2015 08:02 AM

Don't know the max size..

Probably the easiest way is to use a tool to breakup the file into smaller segments.

For instance 7zip can do this, which both you and CA can use for free.

• 3.  Re: File Upload Query

Posted Oct 05, 2015 10:25 AM

I would agree with breaking it up using a file compression utility on something this size; then if something goes cranky we can use tools on both sides to generate a signature of the files and find out which piece needs re-sending (saving the time of redoing the whole lot).  Also if an interruption in network connectivity takes place, it is easier to resume where you left off if you only have to redo the chunk that failed and any subsequent ones still needing to be sent.

That said there's not a limit per se with the server, but when using different clients (including browsers) they may have their own limits or preferences, so the actual size you break them down to is a matter of experimentation.

I would think up to 2GB per piece would normally be fine and with a file of this size, and have seen both larger and smaller values used successfully.

7zip or winzip are both fine.  If your source file is on a unix box and you want to transfer it directly from there, then the 'split' command line tool is also fine (we can use the Windows 'copy' command with the '/b' and '+' operators for merging a file back together that has been 'split' this way).

• 4.  Re: File Upload Query

Posted Oct 05, 2015 10:44 AM

Thanks guys - I've just used PeaZip to break the file down into smaller pieces and am in the process of uploading them individually.