Clarity

View Only
  • 1.  Remove value required prior to 12.1.3 to 14.2 upgrade

Posted Aug 10, 2015 04:52 PM

Has anyone been instructed to remove all value required properties for custom fields prior to upgrading from 12.1.3.7 to 14.2?  Thanks!

• 2.  Re: Remove value required prior to 12.1.3 to 14.2 upgrade

Posted Aug 10, 2015 11:05 PM

I have not seen this in the few upgrades that I was involved in.

Any specifics on why you have been asked to do this ?

Nitin

• 3.  Re: Remove value required prior to 12.1.3 to 14.2 upgrade

Posted Aug 11, 2015 10:10 AM

Thanks for your response.  We’re working with CA professional services on an upgrade and that’s where the request originated.  I don’t have any specifics as to what this action might resolve and wondered if it was a common step?

Thanks Nitin!

• 4.  Re: Remove value required prior to 12.1.3 to 14.2 upgrade

Posted Aug 11, 2015 12:53 PM

We did this when upgrading from 12.1.3 to 13.3.

• 5.  Re: Remove value required prior to 12.1.3 to 14.2 upgrade

Posted Aug 11, 2015 03:19 PM

Thanks for responding Tim.  Do you know if there was a bug or general reason given for dropping value required on custom fields?

• 6.  Re: Remove value required prior to 12.1.3 to 14.2 upgrade
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 12, 2015 02:31 PM

I am not responding on behalf of Tim's specific circumstances as they may have been different, but the problems have typically occurred when some custom and out of the box attributes have been reconfigured as required, and then the upgrade comes along to make some changes (directly to the db or through something like XOG) and because values were not provided for those columns/attributes, it can result in the upgrade halting with an error.  In those instances, you have to roll back to the prior version, change the Required attribute setting, and then upgrade again - a costly exercise in time compared to just making a note of your current required attributes and unchecking them pre-upgrade, re-checking them post-upgrade.

For demonstration purposes, let's say you put a required custom attribute called 'populate_me' on project for example.  If now the upgrade needs to insert or change a project template, it would not know what to provide for this attribute 'populate_me' and just won't include it, causing an error at either the business logic or db level (since constraints are usually enforced there too).  If the attribute was not forced to be required, the action would have succeeded.

It happens less often with out of the box attributes but, unless they were marked as required 'out of the box' to begin with, the same problem can happen there also.

• 7.  Re: Remove value required prior to 12.1.3 to 14.2 upgrade

Posted Aug 12, 2015 04:04 PM

Nick,

That answer makes total sense to me.  My company has been using Clarity since version 7.5 and never ran into this upgrade step or seen it in CA documentation; so I wondered about it.  Thanks for taking the time to respond!