Clarity

View Only
  • 1.  GEL - Xpath How to modify/delete an attribute inside a node?

Posted Nov 25, 2015 11:49 AM

Hi all,

I am having troubles to modify/delete an attribute inside a node in XML using Xpath.
    This is what I have:

<gel:set select="$xog_template//Tasks/Task[@taskID=$thisExtId]" var="taskEntry"/>                                   1) Select a node from xog_template

<gel:set insert="true" select="$xogRequest//Tasks" value="${taskEntry}"/>                                                   2) Insert the node in xogRequest

<gel:set asString="true" select="$xogRequest//Tasks/Task/@nextSiblingOf" var="sibling"/>                         3) Extract the attribute nextSiblingOf into variable sibling

<core:if test="${sibling == '0'}">                                                                                                                        4) Check the value of sibling

<******>                                                                                                                                                  5) Delete the attribute nextSiblingOf or give a new empty value ""

</core:if>

Could anyone provide me an example of Xpath syntax or help me to complete the step 5?

Many thanks

• 2.  Re: GEL - Xpath How to modify/delete an attribute inside a node?

Posted Nov 25, 2015 01:06 PM

So your taskEntry variable is holding a org.w3c.dom Element which has a getAttribute method.

So given this gel script:

<gel:script xmlns:core="jelly:core"
        xmlns:gel="jelly:com.niku.union.gel.GELTagLibrary"
        xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">

<core:set var="thisExtId"  value="3" />

<gel:parse var="xog_template">
            <root>
                <Tasks code="CTU Team">
                    <Task taskID="1" theAttributeToCheck="One" />
                    <Task taskID="2" theAttributeToCheck="Two" />
                </Tasks>
                <Tasks code="WAT Team">
                    <Task taskID="3" theAttributeToCheck="Three" />
                    <Task taskID="4" theAttributeToCheck="Four" />
                </Tasks>
            </root>
        </gel:parse>

<!-- taskEntry is a org.w3c.dom Element -->
        <gel:set select="$xog_template//Tasks/Task[@taskID=$thisExtId]" var="taskEntry"/>

<!-- So we can pull off an attribute value with the getAttribute method -->
        <core:set var="theAttributeToCheck" value='${taskEntry.getAttribute("theAttributeToCheck")}' />
        <gel:log>This is the theAttributeToCheck value = ${theAttributeToCheck}</gel:log>

<!-- do our check and perform some action if true -->
        <core:if test="${theAttributeToCheck.equalsIgnoreCase('Three')}">
            <gel:log>The If statement validated that theAttributeToCheck = Three</gel:log>

</gel:script>

Produces the following:

At this point you can modify the node in taskEntry to whatever you need and then add it to the $xogRequest document.

V/r,

Gene

• 3.  Re: GEL - Xpath How to modify/delete an attribute inside a node?

Posted Nov 26, 2015 08:44 AM

Hi,

First thanks for your answer.

I see your point, but what I am actually interested in, is the action I want to perform inside the check condition.

The action I want to perform is to modify or delete one specific attribute inside the node. Lets say I want to delete the attribute nextSiblingOf from the task node, or give an empty value ("").

<core:if test="${sibling == '0'}">

<Action to delete/modify the attribute/>

Thanks,

• 4.  Re: GEL - Xpath How to modify/delete an attribute inside a node?

Posted Nov 26, 2015 09:43 AM

Here is the element documentation

Element (Java Platform SE 7 b99)

There are both a removeAttribute and setAttribute methods.

<!-- To remove the action would be: -->
    <core:expr value='${taskEntry.removeAttribute("theAttributeToCheck")}'/>

<!-- To change the value the action would be: -->
    <core:expr value='${taskEntry.setAttribute("theAttributeToCheck", "a new value for the attribute")}/>

V/r,

Gene