Clarity

View Only
  • 1.  CA PPM14.3 REST API: Project Create From Template

Posted Mar 11, 2016 04:05 PM

All,

Does anyone know if the 14.3 REST API can handle creating a project from a template. I know that you can do this via XOG using the fromTemplate attribute. Is there an equivalent in the REST APIs?

Thanks!

• 2.  Re: CA PPM14.3 REST API: Project Create From Template
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 08, 2016 05:05 PM

Not at this time, sorry.

It is amongst the items and features being considered for if/how/when to do it, but the latest information for now is that there is no REST API capability to directly create a project from a template.

• 3.  Re: CA PPM14.3 REST API: Project Create From Template

Posted Jul 17, 2017 11:59 AM

nick_darlington

Once project is created using REST APIs, If we try to update same project using fromTemplate. XOG does not fail but it does not copy details from template to newly created project.

So fromTemplate only works while creating a project and not updating?

• 4.  Re: CA PPM14.3 REST API: Project Create From Template

Posted Jul 17, 2017 12:16 PM

Yes, the fromTemplate XOG operation is for creating a new project only.

You may want to take a look at some of the PMO processes for creating projects (from templates) and reviewing the actions available to you there for making changes to a project from a template, in the case where the project record has already been created.

For example, there are system actions on the project for copying the WBS from a template into the project, or copying the staff, and so on.  Leveraging these in particular ways may allow you to update an existing project record from a template in the way that you want.  Then you would need a way to create an instance of that process - something that a XOG object write action could contain the necessary triggers to do.

I don't know if that would be compatible with your specific needs or not, but I would recommend checking it out.

• 5.  Re: CA PPM14.3 REST API: Project Create From Template

Posted Jul 17, 2017 01:02 PM

Correct. That could help to copy WBS via System Action but somehow, I can’t populate Project Properties page using that.

Basically Project Properties  / OBS / Financial Properties / Custom should be copied and if fromTemplate would have worked for Updating Projects, that would have been transparent and easier. Looks like only option now is manually  hard-coding all and populate it.