Clarity

View Only
  • 1.  Where else could the field length be limited other than in Administration > Object -Project - Attributes (for my partition) attribute properties.

Posted Sep 30, 2015 07:56 AM

I have a custom string field for the project object with field length 2000 characters.

When I enter 900 ascii characters I get

Where else could the field length be limited other than in Administration > Object -Project - Attributes (for my partition) attribute properties.

• 2.  Re: Where else could the field length be limited other than in Administration > Object -Project - Attributes (for my partition) attribute properties.

Posted Sep 30, 2015 11:28 AM

I would have to say, this error message looks custom rather than an out of the box one.  If so, it may have been introduced by changing the code (some .xbl / .xml file) or possibly at database level via a trigger or similar.

Could you have the $NIKU_HOME/META-INF and $NIKU_HOME/resource folders searched for this text (specifically the 'Please reduce the length of your commentary' part)?  It is the most likely place this change may have been introduced or referenced from.  Even if the message and the change are separated (different files) it would hopefully give more references on how to help link the two once found.

• 3.  Re: Where else could the field length be limited other than in Administration > Object -Project - Attributes (for my partition) attribute properties.

Posted Sep 30, 2015 03:24 PM

Thanks   nick_darlington

Yes the standard message I've recall seeing before is below (screen shot from another system)

It does not tell the name of the filed like the first screenshot does.

Will search for the message at the earliest tomorrow.

The Text field above is defined max 2000 characters in a box of 100 by 21

That turned to to be only 80 wide and to take only 1516 ascii characters (one less than in the screenshotb

Others have reported similar failures and also not getting any warning when they try to save a text which is too long.

That just disappears to the cyberspace.

What kind of characters must you have to reach that 2000 characters.

• 4.  Re: Where else could the field length be limited other than in Administration > Object -Project - Attributes (for my partition) attribute properties.

Posted Sep 30, 2015 04:45 PM

The screenshot you had, it should be noted, uses a font with kerning applied due to the fact that the characters in the font are not all of a uniform size (m is wider than i for example, but rather than pad the i with additional whitespace to make the font proportional it has had that space collapsed).

This makes the numbers along the final row take up more pixel space than the x's above them.  Here I've highlighted 10 x's and yet it only reaches up to halfway through the 8 in the digits below it:

There are approximately 13 x's for every 1-0 range of digits if my eyes don't deceive me.

In addition, pressing the enter key for a new line consumes 2 characters as well (carriage-return and line-feed respectively).

So I think if you were to copy/paste the entire text box into an application like Notepad++ you should find that your 2000 characters can hopefully be accounted for by this.

There is a small problem in that having an attribute with max value of 2000 characters actually lets you enter 2001 into the UI which will result in the 'value too large' error when saving until you remove the final character, but I don't see problems with the accounting aside from that unless you have further detail.

• 5.  Re: Where else could the field length be limited other than in Administration > Object -Project - Attributes (for my partition) attribute properties.
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 01, 2015 07:20 AM

There is a trigger which fires the message when the length of that particular field exceeds 600.

• 6.  Re: Where else could the field length be limited other than in Administration > Object -Project - Attributes (for my partition) attribute properties.

Posted Oct 01, 2015 09:30 AM

The trigger was custom as well wasn't it?  Just to be certain, otherwise there's some functionality I've overlooked and I'll need to do some homework on it

• 7.  Re: Where else could the field length be limited other than in Administration > Object -Project - Attributes (for my partition) attribute properties.

Posted Oct 01, 2015 03:20 PM

Yes, it is custom. Without db access you don't know if there is one. The message comes as soon as the user clicks save, which should suggest a trigger. I think a process would fire on save whether successful or not.