Clarity

View Only
  • 1.  Silent installation of Clarity PPM

Posted Nov 14, 2014 11:15 AM

Hi folks - Has anyone performed a completely silent installation of Clarity PPM in a Linux environment? If so, what is the best way to do this?

• 2.  Re: Silent installation of Clarity PPM

Posted Nov 17, 2014 03:22 PM

Hi All - Any input here for Latha? Thanks! Chris

Latha Vijayagopal wrote:

Hi folks - Has anyone performed a completely silent installation of Clarity PPM in a Linux environment? If so, what is the best way to do this?

• 3.  Re: Silent installation of Clarity PPM

Posted Nov 17, 2014 05:02 PM

Just wondering again...

What exactly would be the benefit?

Silent installation is something what you do for end users when you do ten, hundreds or thousands of installation of the same package.

While CA PPM you typically install or upgrade just once. While you are working towards the completed install or upgrade you go through trial and error in many cases and do adjustments and settings while you are doing in.

Also you answer a number of questions. When you get done you do not repeat that over and over on different servers.

If you want to have more than one nearly equal system you do that with back up and restore or images.

The next time you do an install or upgrade that is like to be a different version and a whole new ball game as far as silent install is concerned.

• 4.  Re: Silent installation of Clarity PPM

Posted Nov 17, 2014 05:26 PM

Hi – Thanks for the response.

I am attempting a POC to setup an application blueprint with CA’s CloudManager (our Agility tool). For those not familiar with this tool, this helps setup an application blueprint which can be used to launch a complete application environment on a cloud provider. So, basically, a Clarity blueprint would invoke a bunch of scripts that do these things in the background.

-          Launch a RHEL virtual server on say, AWS

-          Install correct version of Java on it

-          Install correct version of Tomcat on it

-          Install Clarity PPM on it (this is where a silent installer is required)

-          Connect it to an existing or new database server also on the cloud

The advantage is being able to launch new Clarity environments on the cloud, on an as-need basis, and this would happen in minutes on the click of a button. Please let me know if you have any suggestions regarding the silent installer. I do see that the install.sh has a “-noinput” and “-buildfile” options available, not sure if any of these can be leveraged for the purpose.

Thanks,

Latha Vijayagopal

• 5.  Re: Silent installation of Clarity PPM

Posted Nov 18, 2014 03:40 AM

Say you have the need to be able to launch new Clarity environments on the cloud on as needed basis within minutes on the click of a button.

I don't think silent install will do that for you in minutes. Even if you have RHEL virtual servers ready or launched in minutes the install script runs for 45 minutes or more regardless of how much computing power you have.

As I wrote before cloning virtual machines is much faster. That is you do the install once to RHEL virtual server once and clone it as needed.

Even backup and restore when needed is much faster than new install silent or normal.

• 6.  Re: Silent installation of Clarity PPM

Posted Nov 18, 2014 10:32 AM

Thanks again for the response.

It does not matter  to me if silent install takes 45 mins, I just need to prove an application template can be created with CloudManager, and what better option to try it with other than a CA product that we are already using extensively. Again the 45 mins is a whole lot better than a week that currently users need to wait for a new Clarity environment to be setup for them. Decision to use this in production is completely out of my hands; I just need to prove its possibility.

So, can this discussion be closed with  the statement that Clarity PPM does not support silent installation?

Thanks,

Latha Vijayagopal

• 7.  Re: Silent installation of Clarity PPM

Posted Nov 18, 2014 11:29 AM

I should not close this thread based on the above. You should get some techies to responds and not just  a non-techie like me.

It can be said that OOTB Clarity does not offer options for silent install.

It should not be any problem install jdk and Tomcat with silent scripts.

A techie could tell how to handle the Clarity install script to run silently once you have fine tuned how to do it manually.

However, I still doubt that there is business justification for that compared to using virtualization technology.

• 8.  RE: Silent installation of Clarity PPM

Posted Sep 01, 2020 03:17 PM
    Got any solution to silent install? I am also trying something similar and trying to see if we can run install with install.properties file and don't need to input any response on console.

• 9.  RE: Silent installation of Clarity PPM

Posted Sep 02, 2020 01:46 PM

Is an option to use a "Macro" program which saves the required input from console and enters it when needed.

That would require one more installs to get all the input needed.

I still thing making a full back up of a fresh install is simpler.
    A copy of the Clarity install is another option.
    See
    https://community.broadcom.com/enterprisesoftware/communities/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?MessageKey=1058a49d-7730-4ba7-90fb-f4e15bd49d0f&CommunityKey=7f0cbca3-5f93-4d44-a369-1a8ce98f5578&tab=digestviewer#bm1058a49d-7730-4ba7-90fb-f4e15bd49d0f

https://community.broadcom.com/enterprisesoftware/communities/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?MessageKey=f3cc30c3-c9ee-45f1-a301-48e84bf4d3e1&CommunityKey=7f0cbca3-5f93-4d44-a369-1a8ce98f5578&tab=digestviewer#bmf3cc30c3-c9ee-45f1-a301-48e84bf4d3e1