Clarity

View Only
  • 1.  Questions on Rate Matrix in Clarity

Posted Nov 19, 2014 04:48 PM

To whom it may concern:

I have several questions that are probably pretty easy to answer.  Here is the scenario:

There is a job called “Rate Matrix Extraction” that was “Cancelled”.   As I understand it, I thought that was odd since it should be running daily.  Since our finance group asked me to add a new rate called BillCod1, according to the documentation, I needed to run the Rate Matrix Extraction job.  That’s when I ran into trouble.  Apparently, for the last two weeks, many people including myself, have had their rates changed to the default rate of $10.00 and the dollar values in each one of the accounting records reflects the default rate of $10.00. We are currently running version 13.2.0.472.  The matrix was locked prior to my changing it, but now it is not.

Here are my questions and hopefully you can answer them to solve my problem:

1. Shouldn't the Rate Matrix Extraction job be run daily?
    2. Could my running the job be the direct cause of the rates changing to default?
    3. How do I re-lock the rate matrix? Is this a problem, too?

The job's parameters are:

1. Extract Cost and Rate Information for the Scheduler = Checked
    2. Prepare Rate Matrix Data = Checked
    3. Update Rate Matrix Data = Checked
    4. Incremental Update Only = UNchecked

Thanks for your help.  If I cannot solve this with you, I will need to open a ticket with CA.

• 2.  Re: Questions on Rate Matrix in Clarity

• 3.  Re: Questions on Rate Matrix in Clarity

• 4.  Re: Questions on Rate Matrix in Clarity

Posted Nov 19, 2014 11:57 PM

• 5.  Re: Questions on Rate Matrix in Clarity

Posted Nov 20, 2014 04:17 AM

Shouldn't the Rate Matrix Extraction job be run daily?

The run results are used in financial planning/budgeting/forecasting.

If the rates changes daily you should run rate matrix job daily or even more frequently.

Some people run that several times a day the run time permitting.

Could my running the job be the direct cause of the rates changing to default?

I can't see how. Are you saying the rates in the matrix are back to default or the rates used in projects and plans and WIP are changed?

Open a case with support if you can document this.

How do I re-lock the rate matrix? Is this a problem, too?

A matrix becomes locked when somebody is editing it and may be left locked if the user just jumps to another page.

The lock should prevent other users from accessing that matrix for viewing and editing.

To answer your question to re-lock just open the matrix and leave the page open.

but you would not want to do that, because nobody  else has access to the matrix for viewing.

I am so fed up with that so that I have an SQL query to read the data directly from the db and don't have to worry about the lock when just viewing.

I could believe that if you have had you matrix open entered the new rates, but not saved and somebody else has removed the lock you rates were not saved, but the defaults reamained.

• 6.  Re: Questions on Rate Matrix in Clarity

Posted Nov 20, 2014 04:26 AM

I agree with what "urmas" has mentioned -

Shouldn't the Rate Matrix Extraction job be run daily?

Yes, since the run results are used in financial planning/budgeting/forecasting.

If the rates changes daily rate matrix job should be run daily or even more frequently

How do I re-lock the rate matrix? Is this a problem, too?

A matrix becomes locked when somebody is editing it and may be left locked if the user just jumps to another page.

NJ

• 7.  Re: Questions on Rate Matrix in Clarity

Posted Nov 20, 2014 10:13 AM

Thanks so much for confirming my research and suspicions.  I've never had a problem before. I will open a ticket with CA. Thanks again!

• 8.  Re: Questions on Rate Matrix in Clarity

Posted Nov 20, 2014 03:34 PM

Thanks to NJ and Urmas for sharing their insights and for the additional information in the URL documents.  Before I posted to this forum, I reviewed them all because I wanted to be sure that I was doing everything according to CA's best practices.  The culprit is that we have a feed that is manually generated with the Resource Class (RC) information.  The RC determines what the rate is going to be for each individual working on our projects.  The PPA_WIP table showed me exactly which transactions were corrupted.  Now I have to work with our accountants to figure how to best recover. Thanks again!  This is a great forum.

• 9.  Re: Questions on Rate Matrix in Clarity

Posted Nov 20, 2014 11:43 PM

Good to know that you found the root-cause, and hope that you are able to recover the corrupt transactions at the earliest

NJ