Clarity

View Only
  • 1.  Temp files on App server

Posted Nov 18, 2014 10:04 AM

Hi all,

I'd like to ask one question regarding temporary files stored by Clarity on the app server.

Our application admin suggested us to change location for creating temp(tmp)

files on server from root directory

/tmp

to

/home/clarity/tmp

In root /tmp directory there are a plenty of files (also old) which take much space.

He has advised to add this command

-Djava.io.tmpdir=/home/clarity/tmp

to our JVM parameters for creating these tmp files in our local tmp

folder(home/clarity/tmp)

I've added it in 'app' and 'app2' section in NSA console to JVM parameters  field.

But till now, no tmp file or any document has been created there.

May I ask on what purposes(what are conditions for creating) are tmp files  created?

And also is that command for creating tmp files in /home/clarity/tmp  sufficent? or

it has to be set this command also in somewhere else?

Many thanks for your support.

Matej

• 2.  Re: Temp files on App server

Posted Nov 21, 2014 02:31 PM

Hi All - Any input here for Matej? Thanks! Chris

Matej Petrgal wrote:

Hi all,

I'd like to ask one question regarding temporary files stored by Clarity on the app server.

Our application admin suggested us to change location for creating temp(tmp)

files on server from root directory

/tmp

to

/home/clarity/tmp

In root /tmp directory there are a plenty of files (also old) which take much space.

He has advised to add this command

-Djava.io.tmpdir=/home/clarity/tmp

to our JVM parameters for creating these tmp files in our local tmp

folder(home/clarity/tmp)

I've added it in 'app' and 'app2' section in NSA console to JVM parameters  field.

But till now, no tmp file or any document has been created there.

May I ask on what purposes(what are conditions for creating) are tmp files  created?

And also is that command for creating tmp files in /home/clarity/tmp  sufficent? or

it has to be set this command also in somewhere else?

Many thanks for your support.

Matej

• 3.  Re: Temp files on App server

Posted Dec 02, 2014 03:16 AM

Hi Chris, thanks for pointing on my issue.

Is there really no one who has some exprerience with tmp folder settings for Clarity?

• 4.  Re: Temp files on App server

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 02, 2014 10:39 AM

Hi Matej,

First of all are you working on a Windows server or a Unix/Linux server?

If you are working on a windows server, your pathing needs to look something like this:

"-Djava.io.tmpdir=c:\javatmp"

Secondly, you need to create the folder manually.  As far as I know this command does not create the folder automatically.

In addition, you need to restart your app and bg services so that Clarity can recognize your changes.

The one thing that I know of that creates temp files for sure is reindexing for our search feature.  So, if you add some documents and you have synchronous indexing turned on or you run the job to reindex your documents, you should be able to see some temp files created.

I am sure there are other things in Clarity that create temp files as well.  But I don't know what they are off the top of my head.

I hope this information helps you out.

Sincerely yours,

Jeanne Gaskill

Senior Support Engineer - Clarity

CA Technologies

• 5.  Re: Temp files on App server

Posted Dec 03, 2014 12:35 AM

Thanks for sharing this useful info, Jeanne

NJ

• 6.  Re: Temp files on App server

Posted Dec 03, 2014 08:41 AM

Hi Jeanne,

Please find my answers below:

• Server is UNIX based.
    • Folder has been created before.
    • Services have been course restarted
    • As I know we have cheduled job "Index contents and documents for searches" to run every hour

Do you know what documents this job indexes? Maybe it is nothing to index...

Many thanks

Matej

• 7.  Re: Temp files on App server

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 03, 2014 10:15 AM

Hi Matej,

You can add documents to document manager in projects or resources, to document attributes on any object or to the knowledge store.

If you haven't added any documents or changed any documents, there would be nothing for the job to do which would mean no activity in the temp files.  I suspect there are other things in Clarity that write temp files as well, but I don't know which ones.

The largest use of the temp files occurs when you reindex your documents from the command line.

Jeanne

• 8.  Re: Temp files on App server

Posted Dec 14, 2014 06:47 PM

Hi Matej

Did you check what sort of files are in the 'old' tmp directory. That might give you some idea what is stored there.

Regards

Biljana