Clarity

View Only
  • 1.  Limit users from seeing a portfolio

Posted Apr 08, 2015 11:01 AM

Hello,

I have a situation where I need to limit users who have global portfolio rights from seeing a certain Strategic Initiative portfolio.  We currently do not have the portfolio object associated with an OBS. We do have a Portfolio OBS but it is not checked to use for access rights.  My question is what's the best way to solve the issue?

I can think of two ways:

1.  Add the portfolio object to our department OBS and then create security groups based on what users need to see which portfolio.

2.  Check our Portfolio OBS to be used for access rights, add the Portfolio object to that portfolio and then create security groups with rights based off of which group needs to view certain portfolios.

Any thoughts and feedback?

Thanks,

Garrett

• 2.  Re: Limit users from seeing a portfolio
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 08, 2015 11:09 AM

Your second option of creating a new OBS for the strategic portfolios should be the way to go

NJ

• 3.  Re: Limit users from seeing a portfolio

Posted Apr 08, 2015 03:12 PM

Thanks for your response NJ.

To make sure we are on same page I attached some screenshots.

He would be my steps to solve:

1. Make the current Portfolio OBS to be "Used for Access Rights.

2. Make the Portfolio Object and Associated Object on the Portfolio OBS.

3. Create a Strategic Initiatives Portfolio security group and assign OBS portfolio access rights to the Strategic Initiatives Grand Parent OBS.

2015-04-08_14-55-28.jpg

Add Portfolio Object.jpg

SI_Portfolio.jpg

• 4.  Re: Limit users from seeing a portfolio

Posted Apr 08, 2015 11:29 AM

The other option is to make use of the "Manager" (edit) and "Stakeholder" (view) fields. (you'd have to remove global though)

As for which OBS to use, that will depend on your organisations use. You will probably find option 2 to be a little bit more flexible, since the portfolios might be cross departmental.

• 5.  Re: Limit users from seeing a portfolio

Posted Apr 08, 2015 03:32 PM

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the feedback.  The "Manager" and "Stakeholder" would work but seems a lot more time consuming as I'd have to do that for each portfolio. Looking at my security groups it looks like I'd have to remove Stakeholder global right and make them OBS rights for whatever solution I go with.

I do agree that using option 2 would give me more flexibility.

Garrett

• 6.  Re: Limit users from seeing a portfolio

Posted Apr 16, 2015 10:31 AM

Andy and NJ's answers were correct.