Clarity

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Linking to Investment Staff Details

• 1.  Linking to Investment Staff Details

Posted Jul 18, 2014 04:56 PM

Hi all.

On an NSQL Portlet I'm working on, I need to link to the Investment Staff Details exactly like the link on the Portfolios --> Investments tab.

portfolio_investments.jpg

When I go to the Object to look at the Linking, I see a Investment Team Detail link...

investment_team_details.jpg

... but in Clarity Studio's Link Settings on my Query - only Investment Properties is available.

investment_properties.jpg

When I dig deeper into the Link Settings on the Investment Object, Investment Properties makes sense (ID and Object Type)

investment_properties_settings.jpg

When I view Investment Team Detail - I'm not familiar with this 'Form Folder ID'.

investment_team_detail_settings.jpg

How can I (can I?) link to Investment Team Detail from a Query? If I can't, do I need to create a new Link?

• 2.  Re: Linking to Investment Staff Details

Posted Jul 18, 2014 05:04 PM

The Team Object has a Link to Investment Staff (Team List) as well that is associated with the Investment Object

team_link.jpg

... but like above this is not available as an Action in my Query's Link Settings.

• 3.  Re: Linking to Investment Staff Details

Posted Jul 19, 2014 02:10 AM

Sound s very much like the no can do with the team staff for other work.

Resources link in Other Work list don't work

Consider using URL redirect.

• 4.  Re: Linking to Investment Staff Details
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 21, 2014 04:26 PM

Thanks for the link urmas. I ran a little spike today on Paul's javascript redirect and Sundar's link action update approaches. While both work - they're both work. What If we keep it simple? Get ready for this - I can't believe it works...

Problem statement: I need to link to the team on the different investment types in a Portfolio's contents in an NSQL portlet. As shown in the screen shots above, the action is projmgr.investmentRoster and you need to feed it an ID, creating a URL like  https://<your url>/niku/nu#action:projmgr.investmentRoster&id=<invesment id>. It is best if this is built & maintained through Studio only and requires no more than standard Studio knowledge, skills, tools & access (this requirement eliminates Paul and Sundar's approaches).

Solution:

1) Create a page and use projmgr.investmentRoster as the Page ID. Make it linkable.

1_page_properties.jpg

2) Give it a Link Parameter to capture ID.

2_link_parameters.jpg

3) Put nothing on it.

3_contents.jpg

4) Setup the link on your query as you normally would. Pass in INV_INVESTMENTS.ID to the ID parameter.

link_on_query.jpg

5) Looks like it's feeding the proper URL - does it work?

4_link.jpg

6) Ideas test out successfully linking to the Idea Team.

5_idea_team.jpg

7) Projects test out successfully linking to the Project Team.

6_project_team.jpg

I have only tested this on Ideas & Projects but it is functioning as expected. I suspect it will work on the other objects too.

Part of me wants to call this a bug that you can create a page with an ID of an internal action... but the seasoned product guy in me says this is no accident. Welcome to an undocumented feature? Very useful.

It is possible this approach will work on the other linking problems in the other threads. This is also 'OnDemand' safe in that it only uses OOTB Studio capability.

HTH.

• 5.  Re: Linking to Investment Staff Details

Posted Jul 21, 2014 05:17 PM

Thanks for sharing this, Rob

NJ

• 6.  Re: Linking to Investment Staff Details

Posted Jul 22, 2014 05:11 AM

Thanks, that looks like work to me as well, but less and simpler and no hacking and can be done on Ondemand.

A pretty neat trick, how did you come to think of it?

• 7.  Re: Linking to Investment Staff Details

Posted Jul 23, 2014 10:06 AM

urmas wrote:

A pretty neat trick, how did you come to think of it?

LOL. A co-worker asked me the same question. My answer?

Imagination, determination and authority.

Let's all go do great things today.

• 8.  Re: Linking to Investment Staff Details

Posted Jul 23, 2014 02:27 PM

Many custom solutions in Clarity IT depend on the imagination and ingenuity of the developer. You are doing very well and thank you for sharing.

• 9.  Re: Linking to Investment Staff Details

Posted Jul 22, 2014 11:25 AM

Hi all.

To take this the last mile - just because you can doesn't mean you should. I've created an idea for making this simpler and 'in the box': Simplify Ability to Create and Manage System Wide Links. Please vote this up if you feel it will provide value to your organization.

• 10.  Re: Linking to Investment Staff Details

Posted Dec 18, 2015 03:48 PM

I love the CA PPM Community Forums. Here I am a year and a half later with this same problem to solve again (this time linking into the Admin side of the tool). After an hour of failing trying to dynamically create the URL in NSQL, I come to search the forums to find I've already solved this problem a year and a half ago.

Too bad my memory doesn't work as well as this URL linking trick does.

• 11.  Re: Linking to Investment Staff Details

Posted Jan 18, 2017 04:37 PM

Ha! And here I am yet again over another year later searching the forums for how to link to the Idea Team on an object based portlet. Good thing 'Search' works better than my memory!