Clarity

View Only
  • 1.  Migration of Projects from MS Project Server

Posted Mar 26, 2015 05:02 AM

Hello,

We are working with an organization who is taking Clarity to replace MS Project Server 2007.

We need to plan a smooth migration of the projects.

The have scores of projects on their Project Server with many cross-project links.

How would you recommend to migrate those projects to Clarity? XOG? Manual Save-As and XOGing only the cross-project links?

Regards,

Barak

https://www.linkedin.com/grp/home?gid=37249

• 2.  Re: Migration of Projects from MS Project Server

Posted Apr 15, 2015 11:17 AM

Any help for Barak?

Thanks

Hello,

We are working with an organization who is taking Clarity to replace MS Project Server 2007.

We need to plan a smooth migration of the projects.

The have scores of projects on their Project Server with many cross-project links.

How would you recommend to migrate those projects to Clarity? XOG? Manual Save-As and XOGing only the cross-project links?

Regards,

Barak

https://www.linkedin.com/grp/home?gid=37249

• 3.  Re: Migration of Projects from MS Project Server

Posted Apr 15, 2015 12:05 PM

Hi Barak,

the question you are asking is a loaded question.  Meaning it could be as simple as saving the MPP files through the plug in to Clarity (but see this very unlikely), or you might need to do XOG.

The problem lies that MSP and Clarity do not have the same data integrity rules, therefore, importing particular parts will involve some manual mapping.

I have done this type of project a couple of times in the past and what we had to do was sort of a hybrid approach.  Some XOG, some saving through the MSP plug in.

You have to keep in mind that might cause you additional Grief:

Resource teams (make sure they are exact matches, both resources and roles)

Actuals, how do you plan on bringing actuals in to Clarity

All task dependencies.  Cross project dependencies are the biggest pain (so make sure all your project shells are created first if you have cross project dependencies.

Feel free to reach out to me if you want more details, and i will dig up my notes from those projects.  I have no problem sharing that with you.

Cheers

Federico

fpena@itroisolutions.com

• 4.  Re: Migration of Projects from MS Project Server

Posted Apr 15, 2015 12:40 PM

Hi Barak.

To add to what Federico has already said, I'll add the dimensions of the number of projects & resources and the 'acceptable loss' & manual re-work the organization is willing to accept.

I migrated a small implementation (under 500 projects and 500 resources) and we used the open from Project Server, scrub up schedule, save to Clarity approach for migration. Following migration we had a QA/clean up week where the most important tool was a loupe to check schedules. PMs and support staff were responsible for rebuilding links and such where appropriate (we had no xog resources at the time). With both PPM systems running side by side it was easy to compare between systems when concerns came up and rectify.

Obviously it's an MS Project shop. If they will continue using MSP as the scheduling tool - will people expect to see the same columns on the schedules when they open them from Clarity as they did from MSP? This layout is kept in the .mpp file, so if you need to meet that requirement you must save the mpp to Clarity. It is possible there are bulk migration tools available to do this today (contact Federico above. if anyone knows Fed knows), but if the size of data migration is small and manageable enough, the manual approach above may still be quicker and result in higher quality.

HTH