Clarity

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

i want different create layout as per selection made by users, like Resource create that are present in CA Clarity

• 1.  i want different create layout as per selection made by users, like Resource create that are present in CA Clarity

Posted Jun 04, 2015 01:06 AM

Hi Expert,

I have created a custom object for my new requirements.

Requirement is to get different create layout based on Business unit selected, User wanted to select business unit then after clicking next create layout should come based on Business Units, similar to Resource Create that we have in Clarity.

Please suggest me how can i achieve this in custom object.

Thank you in adv.

Regards,

Prakash. 

• 2.  Re: i want different create layout as per selection made by users, like Resource create that are present in CA Clarity

Posted Jun 04, 2015 04:15 AM

Have you thought of creating partitions ? That would be one way !

NJ

• 3.  Re: i want different create layout as per selection made by users, like Resource create that are present in CA Clarity

Posted Jun 04, 2015 11:17 PM

Thank for your Suggestion, Yes we can achieve it after creating partition but business is not allowing me to create.

Thank you.

• 4.  Re: i want different create layout as per selection made by users, like Resource create that are present in CA Clarity

Posted Jun 04, 2015 07:59 AM

You can use conditional sub-pages.But i believe sub-pages will work only on edit layout.

So here is the solution based on edit layout:

Assume you have resources in your organization that belongs to three different organization( BU1,BU2 and BU3)

So on Create layout you will only one field i.e. " Business Unit" , Based on the "Business Unit" selected  specific set of fields will be presented to user.

Gaurav

• 5.  Re: i want different create layout as per selection made by users, like Resource create that are present in CA Clarity

Posted Jun 04, 2015 11:20 PM

Hi Gaurav,

Currently i am doing this, but i want all the field in create section based on BU that i am getting in Edit layout.

Thank you

• 6.  Re: i want different create layout as per selection made by users, like Resource create that are present in CA Clarity

Posted Jun 24, 2015 03:43 AM

I'm afraid thats not how Clarity works - you have been given 2 good answers ; either use PARTITIONS where you can present different screen layouts to different partitions (but this is a very complicated solution) or use different EDIT layouts depending on the business unit captured at "create" stage (this is a very good solution to your problem, I don't really see why you insist on the CREATE page being different though - the end result for the user will be the same?).

Another (overly complex) solution would be to have different custom objects - one per "business unit", then when any of those custom-objects have been created, copy the details using a process to your "real" custom-object that is common across all business units.

or

You could capture your "create" stage outside of Clarity and build an interface to create the object inside Clarity - then its up to you to build that external application (perhaps in Excel?)

[ Gaurav's answer is by far the best solution I think though ]

• 7.  Re: i want different create layout as per selection made by users, like Resource create that are present in CA Clarity

Posted Jun 24, 2015 11:42 AM

Dave,

I can understand Prakash's request, as I have users that want to fill in all necessary info when creating project, on one screen.  They don't like entering a small bit of stuff on one screen, only to hit save and then see that they have to fill in a bunch of other stuff.  Our issue is more project type specific, rather than BU specific, as we want all BU's running projects the same way with the same content, based on project type and corresponding process.

I know its one click/save, and we don't create that many projects every day.  But still, users will complain - and why not?  Would entering everything on one page, without an additional click/save be better?  Would it be better if we could do this without having to create custom workarounds?  Yes, fewer clicks must be better - this must be true.  But how much better compared to other things we need in the app?

Its not a huge problem that needs fixing right away - except in the sense that such 'field level security' is something that I and others have been asking for since Niku 6's introduction in 2002.

In the meantime, because waiting on CA can be a long wait, agree that Prakash should consider the suggestions made here.  That's what we have been doing.

Dale

• 8.  Re: i want different create layout as per selection made by users, like Resource create that are present in CA Clarity

Posted Jun 24, 2015 11:28 AM

Hi Guarav,

Is this ability to show/not show fields on Edit view based on parameter other than "Partition" a new feature of 14.2?  The way I read your idea, if I change "BU" value, then the fields on my Project\Properties\General page will change.  CA used to describe such a feature as "field level security" with the response that "ABT/Niku/Clarity doesn't have this capability.  Only page level is provided."

Still on 13.1 and I can see that only the sub-page list can be changed based on "BU" or other parameters.  Will be on 14.2 later this year - should see it on DEV system, here, soon.

So, for now, we put fields that are common to BU's on General subpage, and then put BU specific fields on separate subpages.

Thanks,

Dale

• 9.  Re: i want different create layout as per selection made by users, like Resource create that are present in CA Clarity

Posted Jun 24, 2015 11:39 AM

(Just for clarification ; I was interpreting Guarav's comment as just showing different sub-pages based upon the BU)

• 10.  Re: i want different create layout as per selection made by users, like Resource create that are present in CA Clarity

Posted Jun 24, 2015 08:00 PM

Hi Dave/Dale,

I have already implemented the solution to select BU on create layout and then save BU values, once BU is saved edit layout page will appear based on BU selected. it's working fine but getting complain from user that i wanted to fill other details on create, before saving only BU field(Dale highlighted the points).

So i was thinking to create same feature like Resources, in Resource, if will select Resources, a layout will appears but if will select Role different layout will appear...  if we could implement similar feature in our custom attribute then user have to select their BU and after clicking on next  they will get a layout(page) that will different to another BU Layout(page).

Thank you so much.

Regards,

Prakash