Clarity

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Portfolio Mgt: Child Portfolios

• 1.  Portfolio Mgt: Child Portfolios

Posted Aug 14, 2014 09:07 AM

In regards to Portfolio Mgt, does anyone know a timeline as to when Child Portfolios will be enabled?

All the training and current documentation I find says the Child Portfolio button is not functional and is currently just a placeholder for a future release.

• 2.  Re: Portfolio Mgt: Child Portfolios

Posted Aug 14, 2014 09:35 AM

Hi ManchuWarrior,

Which is your clarity version? In v13.3, you can just goto the Contents Editor tab in your portfolio, click on the ADD button under Child Portfolios section, choose the portfolio from the presented list of non-linked portfolios and add it. Is that what you are looking for here?

Regards,

Georgy

• 3.  Re: Portfolio Mgt: Child Portfolios

Posted Aug 14, 2014 10:10 AM

I'm familar with that button, but I'm not aware that it works. We are using 13.3. When I attended Clarity training hosted by CA last week, they themselves said the button is just a placeholder and not functional. Perhaps this is a misunderstnading among the CA trainers and perhaps the documenation needs to be updated?  

• 4.  Re: Portfolio Mgt: Child Portfolios
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 14, 2014 10:44 AM

Hello ManchuWarrior,

You are correct, the child portfolio functionality only adds the child portfolio to the parent portfolio at this time.

Please refer TechDoc for further details - https://comm.support.ca.com/?legacyid=TEC615513.

Thanks and Best Regards,

Ruchika Israni

Sr. Support Engineer

CA Clarity

• 5.  Re: Portfolio Mgt: Child Portfolios

Posted Aug 14, 2014 10:51 AM

Thank you Ruchika for your feedback and providing the article.

• 6.  Re: Portfolio Mgt: Child Portfolios

Posted Jan 12, 2017 04:06 AM

Hello,

is there anything new regarding the child Portfolio?

thanks very much.

BR

• 7.  Re: Portfolio Mgt: Child Portfolios

Posted Jan 12, 2017 04:14 AM

Hi,

No, I'm afriad there is nothing new.

• 8.  Re: Portfolio Mgt: Child Portfolios

Posted Jan 12, 2017 04:17 AM

So Child Portfolio is still not working and also the Budget Rollup as described in the Clarity Documentation isn't working?

• 9.  Re: Portfolio Mgt: Child Portfolios

Posted May 16, 2017 11:40 AM

Just curious if anyone has figured out a way around this? do you use the Portfolio Management functionality as an enterprise portfolio planning that can be broken down into mini portfolios (per IT area for ex) and then each mini portfolio is comprised of a bunch of projects? I am looking for a way to see this roll up from projects to the total on a portfolio and then roll up to an enterprise portfolio total. Thanks.

• 10.  Re: Portfolio Mgt: Child Portfolios

Posted May 16, 2017 11:59 PM

Hi Dana, we had this same challenge and wanted to continue to leverage the portfolio functionality. The gotcha around Child Portfolios is that they don't behave like you would expect (the functionality is reasonably simple / basic).

The other big point that needs to be considered is that an investment can be included in the contents of multiple portfolios, so any 'hierarchy' of portfolios needs to be cognisant of that without double / triple / ... multiple ... accounting of an investment.

How we did it was to replicate the portfolio hierarchy with a specific Portfolio OBS for the selected portfolios. Investments could live in each portfolio within a branch, but at the same level across the branches they could only exist once. We built dashboards which extended on the deployed PMO Accelerator 'Portfolio Dashboard' and navigated the drill down within the different "levels" of portfolio via the Portfolio OBS that we had created and then tagged against the selected portfolios. This mimicked the drill down / up capability that we wanted at different levels while still being able to access the individual portfolios for what they could provide OOTB. We got even craftier with the construction by breaking this down by FY as well. There was a bit of work in the approach, including the creation of all the portfolios and the coordination of the synchronisation schedules to spread the impact of the jobs on the Clarity PPM infrastructure (which has caused us failures with the load DW job). The key thing was that we did not use child portfolios to make this happen.

• 11.  Re: Portfolio Mgt: Child Portfolios

Posted May 17, 2017 09:31 AM

Hi Dana,

In the use case you described, it's certainly possible to do that roll up using the child/parent logic.

This is stored in pfm_hierarchies and needs a loop on parent_id and child_id.

You can then roll up the cost. (portfolio sync or live transactional)

Keep in mind we only see this in custom reporting, not the waterline view

I can share the logic of the code if wanted

Andrew

Example view

Parent Portfolio - $10M

parent inv 1 - $1m

parent inv 2  $1m

Child Portfolio 1 - $5m

child port inv 1 - $2.5m

child port inv 2 - $2.5m

Child portfolio 2 - $3m

child port inv 1 - $1.5m

child port inv 2 - $1.5m

Vote this one up

Hierarchical data visualisation (OBS, Objects, Resources etc)