Clarity

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

CA Clarity Tuesday Tip: How to increase the OBS width so that the whole path is shown in the object edit view

System

SystemJul 08, 2014 02:44 PM

Nei RGlhcyBWaWxsYXMgQsO0YXM=

Nei RGlhcyBWaWxsYXMgQsO0YXM=Jul 09, 2014 09:58 AM

Legacy User

Legacy UserJul 09, 2014 05:20 PM

Anon Anon

Anon AnonJul 10, 2014 08:05 AM

• 1.  CA Clarity Tuesday Tip: How to increase the OBS width so that the whole path is shown in the object edit view

Posted Jul 08, 2014 11:11 AM

All fields in the section "Organizational Breakdown Structures" in the project main properties page and also in the resource main properties page are shorter (display) than in the previous version of Clarity.  To increase the OBS field's width you will have to edit the default UI Theme as follows:

1.  Open Administration, Studio, UI Themes

2.  Copy the CSS setting of your current default theme

3.  Create a new Theme and paste the CSS setting copied from default

4.  Add the following lines to the bottom of theme

input[auto_setupfunction="obsAutosuggest"] {

width: 400px;

}

input[auto_setupfunction="obsDepartmentAutosuggest"] {

}

5.  Make this new Theme as your default Theme

6.  To see the changes, you may have to log out the application or close browser session to remove the browser cache

A copy of this this information is available in TEC613719

• 2.  Re: CA Clarity Tuesday Tip: How to increase the OBS width so that the whole path is shown in the object edit view

Posted Jul 08, 2014 02:44 PM

Thanks for the tip Robert!

• 3.  Re: CA Clarity Tuesday Tip: How to increase the OBS width so that the whole path is shown in the object edit view

Posted Jul 08, 2014 04:24 PM

Thanks for the tip.

Just wondering again....

The post and the original Tech Doc do not say to which version this applies (the problem has been there in Niku 6)

The Tech doc further says is smaller than in a previous version. Which versions might they be.

Those could items for the Technical Documentation Feedback if I could find that.

• 4.  Re: CA Clarity Tuesday Tip: How to increase the OBS width so that the whole path is shown in the object edit view

Posted Jul 08, 2014 04:37 PM

This applies to versions 13 and up wherein you can customize the UI Theme by editing the CSS file on the administration side.  The previous version which had a wider OBS field view was 12.

• 5.  Re: CA Clarity Tuesday Tip: How to increase the OBS width so that the whole path is shown in the object edit view

Posted Jul 08, 2014 04:47 PM

Thanks.

As said in Niku 6 with several layers and long names that was a problem sometimes.

• 6.  Re: CA Clarity Tuesday Tip: How to increase the OBS width so that the whole path is shown in the object edit view

Posted Jul 09, 2014 01:27 AM

Hi Robert,

Just tried this in our upgraded v13.3 environment...works like a charm Awesome!

Thanks a lot,

Georgy

• 7.  Re: CA Clarity Tuesday Tip: How to increase the OBS width so that the whole path is shown in the object edit view

Posted Jul 09, 2014 09:58 AM

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the tip! Works fine here (v 13.2)

Regards

• 8.  Re: CA Clarity Tuesday Tip: How to increase the OBS width so that the whole path is shown in the object edit view

Posted Jul 09, 2014 03:03 PM

Works fine here as wel (13.3).  I agree it's a little less intuitive than simply configuring the display width in the field view (create/edit), but it works nonetheless!

• 9.  Re: CA Clarity Tuesday Tip: How to increase the OBS width so that the whole path is shown in the object edit view

Posted Jul 09, 2014 05:20 PM

Happy-Happy!  Thanks Robert - great tip.

Dale

• 10.  Re: CA Clarity Tuesday Tip: How to increase the OBS width so that the whole path is shown in the object edit view

Posted Jul 10, 2014 08:05 AM

Tried and it  works very well...

Thanxs

• 11.  Re: CA Clarity Tuesday Tip: How to increase the OBS width so that the whole path is shown in the object edit view

Posted Jul 11, 2014 08:02 AM

works nicely on 13.3.

This one also doesn't have the side effect of making the gantt or portfolio rows resize!!

• 12.  Re: CA Clarity Tuesday Tip: How to increase the OBS width so that the whole path is shown in the object edit view

Posted Jul 12, 2014 01:36 PM

Thanks Robert, I have run into the need for this in the field!

• 13.  Re: CA Clarity Tuesday Tip: How to increase the OBS width so that the whole path is shown in the object edit view

Posted Aug 11, 2014 03:25 AM

Robert,

Have run into an issue with  this change.  It appears that the OBS field in the Timesheet List view filter is also affected by this change.

CA Clarity PPM  Timesheets - Windows Internet Explorer_2014-08-11_03-20-45.gif

Although users are happy with the change on Project Properties page, they are not happy seeing how this change affects the Timesheet list view, pushing all the fields on the right, farther right, narrowing the column.

Any ideas on how to maintain the positive change on the Project Properties page, while fixing the problem produced here on Timesheet list view page?

Dale C. Stockman

• 14.  Re: CA Clarity Tuesday Tip: How to increase the OBS width so that the whole path is shown in the object edit view

Posted Aug 15, 2014 10:49 AM

Hi Dale,

set the width to say 200?

does that look better?

• 15.  Re: CA Clarity Tuesday Tip: How to increase the OBS width so that the whole path is shown in the object edit view

Posted Aug 15, 2014 10:51 AM

by the way seems that 300 is probably the best. Any bigger and it will look odd on low resolutions.

• 16.  Re: CA Clarity Tuesday Tip: How to increase the OBS width so that the whole path is shown in the object edit view

Posted Aug 18, 2014 10:19 AM

We have some long OBS paths, where it is useful to have 300 on project properties page.  As the timesheet list view content is largely controlled by access rights, the OBS field isn't normally used - therefore, it would be best if

- the OBS field here was not affected by the change

- or, we could remove the OBS field

- or, we could move the OBS field so that its long length would not push the right column (move OBS field from left to right column?)

Dale

• 17.  Re: CA Clarity Tuesday Tip: How to increase the OBS width so that the whole path is shown in the object edit view

Posted Aug 14, 2014 10:40 PM

Hi,

I did the same change to our UI themes, cleared cache, logged out. But there is no change to the OBS width.

Any reason why?

Regards

Pankaj

• 18.  Re: CA Clarity Tuesday Tip: How to increase the OBS width so that the whole path is shown in the object edit view

Posted Aug 16, 2014 12:02 AM

I realized that this piece of code should NOT be placed in the end, if I did that, it was not working.

• 19.  Re: CA Clarity Tuesday Tip: How to increase the OBS width so that the whole path is shown in the object edit view

Posted Dec 10, 2014 04:08 AM

Hi Pankaj,

I too tried doing this change on my Clarity screen which is version 13.3 but I do not see much change.

Could you tell me as to where you placed the code on the CSS.

Thanks,

Meenakshi V

• 20.  Re: CA Clarity Tuesday Tip: How to increase the OBS width so that the whole path is shown in the object edit view

Posted Dec 11, 2014 01:53 PM

It should be added at the bottom of your new custom theme (see below); set that new theme as default; then you will have to log out then back into Clarity to see change take effect.

ui.jpg

• 21.  Re: CA Clarity Tuesday Tip: How to increase the OBS width so that the whole path is shown in the object edit view

Posted Dec 12, 2014 01:12 AM

Hi Robert,

Thank you for the tip.

I tried updating my CSS the way you have mentioned, but I still do not see any change.

Just to check if I have understood the process correct.

Once we update the CSS the OBS length on the Resources, project general screen get modified. Is it correct?

I would really appreciate more help on this as we have a need to increase the OBS length on the screens.

Thank you,

Meenakshi V

• 22.  Re: CA Clarity Tuesday Tip: How to increase the OBS width so that the whole path is shown in the object edit view

Posted Dec 12, 2014 01:22 AM

Have you followed all the steps down till number 6 ?

Clarity: Is there a way to increase the OBS width so that the whole path is shown?

Document ID:  TEC613719
    Last Modified Date:  7/8/2014
      Show Technical Document Details

Description:

All fields in the section "Organizational Breakdown Structures" in the project main properties page and also in the resource main properties page are shorter (display) than in the previous version of Clarity.

Is possible to increase the size of its width?

Solution:

To increase the OBS field's width you will have to edit the default UI Theme as follows:

1. Open Administration, Studio, UI Themes
    2. Copy the CSS setting of your current default theme
    3. Create a new Theme and paste the CSS setting copied from default
    4. Add the following lines to the bottom of theme

input[auto_setupfunction="obsAutosuggest"] {
      }
      input[auto_setupfunction="obsDepartmentAutosuggest"] {
      }

5. Make this new Theme as your default Theme
    6. To see the changes, you may have to log out the application or close browser session to remove the browser cache

NJ

• 23.  Re: CA Clarity Tuesday Tip: How to increase the OBS width so that the whole path is shown in the object edit view

Posted Dec 12, 2014 02:05 AM

Hi NJ,

I did try the steps 1 through 6.

Cleared the browsing history, lcosed browser and logged out and logged in again.

Still I find the old length.

Hope I am doing it correct.

Thanks,

Meenakshi V

• 24.  Re: CA Clarity Tuesday Tip: How to increase the OBS width so that the whole path is shown in the object edit view

Posted Dec 12, 2014 02:13 AM

Did you access the mentioned page and clicked Flush All button ?

https://<server-name>/niku/nu#action:security.caches

• 25.  Re: CA Clarity Tuesday Tip: How to increase the OBS width so that the whole path is shown in the object edit view

Posted Dec 12, 2014 02:26 AM

Hi NJ,

Thank you for the tip again.

I tried and cleared the cache by clicking on the Flush All.

Still the change is not getting reflected.

Thanks,

Meenakshi V

• 26.  Re: CA Clarity Tuesday Tip: How to increase the OBS width so that the whole path is shown in the object edit view

Posted Dec 12, 2014 02:56 AM

Can you bounce the apps and check if the issue still persists ? If yes, then please open a case with support so they can guide further

NJ

• 27.  Re: CA Clarity Tuesday Tip: How to increase the OBS width so that the whole path is shown in the object edit view

Posted Dec 12, 2014 04:40 PM

Double-check that the theme you modified is the active/selected theme. If you still don't see the changes, you need to go into the partition model and confirm that the partitions are assigned the theme you are modifying.

• 28.  Re: CA Clarity Tuesday Tip: How to increase the OBS width so that the whole path is shown in the object edit view

Posted Dec 13, 2014 06:13 PM

Hi Meenakshi,

Try changing the position of the code. I remember when I had placed it at the end of the script it was NOT working. Can you try placing it as the last but one item in your script? (i.e. just before the last #piece of code)

Regards

• 29.  Re: CA Clarity Tuesday Tip: How to increase the OBS width so that the whole path is shown in the object edit view

Posted Feb 18, 2015 11:02 AM

Hi Meenakshi,

I know it's been a while this issue has posted. I'm responding now because we were experiencing the same exact issue and managed to found the solution. Thought of posting the solution just in case if you still experiencing this issue - Please see the solution.

As per the instructions you'll be certainly creating new UI theme but your default partition is still pointing to your OLD UI Theme, because of this reason the changes are not being reflected.

You'll need to ensure that you have associated the your newly created UI Theme at Partition level also. Once you made this changes then only the changes will get reflect. Please see the screen shot FYR. I removed my organization name.

OBS Resizing..jpg

• 30.  Re: CA Clarity Tuesday Tip: How to increase the OBS width so that the whole path is shown in the object edit view

Posted Mar 02, 2015 12:00 PM

Hello all,

has anyone tested this trick on version 14.1? Somehow it is impossible to create a new UI theme from copy and pasting the content of another UI theme...UI theme problem.JPG

when pasting the whole content and then clicking the save button the CSS content gets corrupted it saves itself in one longgg line and thus it cannot be used...

when copying and pasting little by little it seems to work but when copying and pasting the whole content at once it fails... I have successfully copied and pasted up to 400 CSS lines without having the problem...

many thanks in advance.

• 31.  Re: CA Clarity Tuesday Tip: How to increase the OBS width so that the whole path is shown in the object edit view

Posted Mar 06, 2015 09:19 AM

sounds like a defect

• 32.  Re: CA Clarity Tuesday Tip: How to increase the OBS width so that the whole path is shown in the object edit view

Posted Apr 15, 2015 03:08 AM

just an update here.  The defect was RESOLVED in 14.2 version   The tip works as a charm!

Thanks!

• 33.  Re: CA Clarity Tuesday Tip: How to increase the OBS width so that the whole path is shown in the object edit view

Posted Dec 11, 2014 01:40 PM

Can anyone help Meenakshi with the question on where to place the code on the CSS?

Thanks for sharing the tip Robert!

• 34.  Re: CA Clarity Tuesday Tip: How to increase the OBS width so that the whole path is shown in the object edit view

Posted Jun 01, 2015 12:16 AM

Thanks Robert.

This worked great and is something my client has wanted for a long time.

Matt

• 35.  RE: CA Clarity Tuesday Tip: How to increase the OBS width so that the whole path is shown in the object edit view

Posted Sep 24, 2021 05:48 PM
    Is there a way we can change the Width of the Name field as well?