Clarity

View Only
  • 1.  Does OWB v2.1.0 work against Clarity v13.3 ?

Posted May 08, 2014 04:57 AM

We are currently running Clarity v13.2 and OWB v2.1.0

We would like to upgrade Clarity to v13.3 (so we have financial plans against ideas), but release notes state that we would need to use OWB 2.1.1 (and that v2.1.0 is not supported)

Rolling out a new version of OWB at our site is a major issue - we recently went through this when upgrading to v13.2 / OWB 2.1.0 and I'd like to avoid having to do this again if at all possible.

Is anyone successfully using OWB v2.1.0 against Clarity v13.3 ? Are there any particular issues ?

• 2.  RE: Does OWB v2.1.0 work against Clarity v13.3 ?

Posted May 08, 2014 05:25 AM

Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question, but you should be aware that there are "issues" around OWB2.1.1 in 13.3 anyway - see here Open Workbench 2.1.1 Issue saving some projects back to Clarity 13.3 so I would think that there is a certain amount of "activity" currently going on in CASupport in the area of OWB and v13.3 (might be wise to raise a support-ticket to get linked into that activity?). 

(That thread also referrs to using OWB1.2.1 against 13.3)

• 3.  RE: Does OWB v2.1.0 work against Clarity v13.3 ?

Posted May 08, 2014 07:06 AM

Not answering your question either, but there are definitely issues running OWB 2.1.1 overall eg like

CLRT-74152: OWB 2.1.1 ETC and Actual Hours Not Showing on Resource Summary

which makes it totally useless.

In order to determine if you could run OWB 2.1.1 you should see the releease notes and the tech docs for issues fixed. The list of v13.x open defect does not list al and doesnot seem to be updated.

As far as running mixed versions CA has always forbidden that. However, as long as new version means new bugs users have tried to run mixed versions and it has been possible to run OWB from an earlier major version with Clarity. Though that has been in tests only. Like in this case I have tried to run OWB 2.1.0 and it seems to run OK.

Tried to look trhoug the release notes or v.13.3 and did not find the place where it explicitly forbids using OWB 2.1.0 Is it there or is just recommendation for utilizing the new and enhanced features? That has been the case earlier.

Martti K

• 4.  RE: Does OWB v2.1.0 work against Clarity v13.3 ?

Posted May 08, 2014 09:01 AM

Thanks Martii

In the 13.3 Release Notes - On Premise, in Appendix A Compatabilities, Changes in CA Clarity PPM Release 13.3.00

Client Applications - states that Dropped support for OWB 2.1

Think we'll try this for ourselves, although I'm not generally happy in running an unsupported combination

Nigel

• 5.  RE: Does OWB v2.1.0 work against Clarity v13.3 ?

Posted May 08, 2014 09:24 AM

Thanks, should have read a little further.

I should not be that happy either to run an unsupported combination and further any problems would be totally undocumented unlike the supported version where many of the problems are documented.

Martti K.

• 6.  RE: Does OWB v2.1.0 work against Clarity v13.3 ?

Posted May 08, 2014 02:46 PM

Hi Nigel -

While do always recommend you use the supported client version, you can use OWB 2.1.0 with your Clarity 13.3 implementation if you choose to do so with the following caveats: 

1.You will not benefit from any fixes/changes added in OWB 2.1.1

2. If you run into an issue that requires Support, it must be tested and replicated on the OWB 2.1.1 version to be addressed.

3. If you run into an issue that is determined to be caused by using the mix-matched version, our resolution will be to move to the supported version.

There are a couple of known issues with OWB 2.1.1 that we are currently addressing.  In addition to the fixes in 13.3.0.2, we have a new patch due to be released next week to address the issue mentioned regarding saving projects.

Thanks,

Kate

• 7.  RE: Does OWB v2.1.0 work against Clarity v13.3 ?

Posted May 08, 2014 01:55 PM

Defect CLRT-74152 has been fixed in 13.3.0.2 (and is also part of 13.3.0.3) Patch that is available for download now on Support.ca.com.  

• 8.  RE: Does OWB v2.1.0 work against Clarity v13.3 ?

Posted May 08, 2014 02:09 PM

Yes I was reading, TEC605767. My point is that you have to read those and not just the release notes for 13.3 to be aware what issues there are and also to install the fix pack where the issues that are concerns to you have been fixed (if they have)

Martti K.

• 9.  RE: Does OWB v2.1.0 work against Clarity v13.3 ?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 29, 2014 05:05 AM

As you have seen in the Release Notes document, the only supported client for Clarity v13.3 is Open Workbench 2.1.1.

I am not saying that 2.1.0 will not work, but it has not been tested and also code changes commited in both unpatched or patched versions at server (Clarity)/client (OWB) levels can have unpredictable behavior that it is just better to avoid. I would strongly suggest to upgrade your Open Workbench to match the release supported for your Clarity version even if it seems to work "just fine".

Regards.

• 10.  RE: Does OWB v2.1.0 work against Clarity v13.3 ?

Posted May 29, 2014 11:51 AM

Consider this:

Say you have upgrade your Clarity and establish that there is an undocumented bug in OWB and OWB is playing fundamental part in you project management process.

Should you stop using Clarity all together until the bug is fixed, roll back or assess the optional work arounds and the risks involved and try to find an usable alternate process with risks that you can live with.

Martti K.