Clarity

View Only
  • 1.  Updated from OWB not showing up in Clarity

Posted Feb 04, 2014 02:30 PM

We are using Clarity PPM v12.1 Service Pack 1 along with CA -OWB v1.2.2 B01. When I update resource allocation from OWB ( Resource. Availability) field value, I dont see that value reflected / refreshed in Clarity frontend.  I am able to view the values in OWB.  Are they ( OWB and CA PPM) using two differnt tables to display the resource allocation per phase?

• 2.  RE: Updated from OWB not showing up in Clarity

Posted Feb 05, 2014 05:09 AM

There are not separate tables as such; its always the same data between Clarity and OWB, but you might just have some "confusion" about what you are actually looking at (in Clarity and/or OWB) since "allocation" can be interpreted / aggregated at different levels.

Can you be explicit about which fields you are updating/looking at - which screens etc (perhaps some simple screen shots would help).

• 3.  RE: Updated from OWB not showing up in Clarity

Posted Feb 05, 2014 09:24 AM
      |   view attached

We are currently tracking weekly allocation vs actuals for each project resource.  We might adjust the forecast ( future allocation) based on the project progress / need.  It becomes very tedious to complete this task in clarity as it invloves too many clicks.  We are planning to use OWB to achive this task.  We receive the forecast data in excel from functional managers.  Please screenshot "1" from attached word document showing the fileds in Clarity we are currently using to track weekly allocation.  Also in the attachment, i have added screenshots of OWB setup.  

Kindly review and let me know if you see issue with this setup.  Also i am open for any other suggestions/ alternative setups in OWB.

Attachment(s)

• 4.  RE: Updated from OWB not showing up in Clarity

Posted Feb 05, 2014 11:53 AM

At "Screenshot - 1" can you enter "Edit Mode" and just type in the weekly allocation?

The "Time Slicing" job might need to complete a run after you save data in OWB before it is visible in those detail fields in Clarity.

• 5.  RE: Updated from OWB not showing up in Clarity

Posted Feb 05, 2014 12:12 PM

I did follow that workaround to edit one record "in edit mode" inside clarity.  But that updates only the resouce that i am updating not all the resources. But, the workaround does not work all the time.   I am able to see the updated values in OWB if i open the project in "read/ wirte " mode from clairty.   Just that the team tab does not show the values.  Let me see how the time slicing job is running.

• 6.  RE: Updated from OWB not showing up in Clarity

Posted Feb 05, 2014 12:24 PM

Just to clarify; after making changes in OWB, I open clarity and edit just one resource and save it.  This brings the values into Clarity from OWB for that resource.  If i have to do the same thing for all resources, i am better off updating the allocations in Clairty itself instead of using OWB. sad

• 7.  RE: Updated from OWB not showing up in Clarity
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 05, 2014 12:40 PM

^ thats just a sync issue between OWB and the timeslices ; the "allocation" in Clarity is held in a BLOB or "curve" (a binary field) - OWB can break this "on the fly" down into individual days/weeks/months/whatever but Clarity relies on the timeslicing jobs (in most cases) in order to display the data in the broken-down (eg "weekly") manner.  So needing to wait until the timeslicing job has completed before the weekly data is visible correctly in Clarity makes sense - and what you are doing by editing the one resource in Clarity is just jumping ahead of that job (for that one record only) and doing the "slicing" in Clarity immediately.  The rest of the resources should catch up when the slices are processed.

Normally changes you make in teh GUI are immdiately sliced (rather than waiting for the job), but some "background updates) to this data (eg through OWB or XOG) rely on teh job to do the slicing for them.

Read up on "time slicing" ; its a big topic!

• 8.  RE: Updated from OWB not showing up in Clarity

Posted Feb 05, 2014 01:47 PM

There is a smal ldifference between Clarity and OWB.

OWB reads and writes the blob fields directly eg. practcurve while Clarity writes directly to them, but reads the slices either the standard user confiurable slices or the system slices depending what kind of a view or page you are looking at.

Martti K.