Symantec IGA

View Only
  • 1.  Using a PX with a SOAP request to call an admin task .

Posted Mar 27, 2020 06:19 PM

I have to do a bulk task that calls the "Synchronize User with Roles" task, and I have to select the check box for "Add missing accounts" on that task. The currently IM version here is 14.2, so I don't have the option to do that on the task configuration screen.

I am working on a PX that would call that task using a SOAP request, and on that SOAP Request I would be able to pass the parameter to "Add missing accounts", as described on this article:
    https://knowledge.broadcom.com/external/article?articleId=97740

The "SOAP Queries" Action Rule screen give me two options, "Basic Auth Invoke" and the "Anonymous Auth Invoke", but as far as I can tell, both of them work the same way.

I have to pass the user and password to the SOAP request, to authenticate the user that is calling the admin task, so I thought the "Basic Auth Invoke" option would do that, since it gives me both an "User Name" and a "Password" field on the Action rule form, leaving the SOAP Request Message field for the  missing parameters of the SOAP Action itself. The problem is that the only way I can get the SOAP Request to work is passing the username and password directly on the "SOAP Request Message" field, passing the entire SOAP envelope on that field, leaving the password for the user that I'm using on clear text. 

Is there a way around it or my only option is to leave the password on clear text on the SOAP request Message field?

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance!

------------------------------
    Luiz Felipe Martins
    Software Consultant
    Gliat

• 2.  RE: Using a PX with a SOAP request to call an admin task .

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 30, 2020 10:45 AM
    Hi,

You might be able to write some custom java code that would input the credentials systematically for you.

Thanks,
    Marc

Thanks,
    Marc

====================
    Perhaps there are others in the communities who have experience in doing this and we invite them to comment here also.

Another option may be to reach out to our partner HCL Technologies to see in what way they can assist further. The Enterprise Studio team of HCL can be reached at enterprisestudio@hcl.com. https://www.hcltech.com/enterprise-studio

• 3.  RE: Using a PX with a SOAP request to call an admin task .
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 31, 2020 02:57 AM
    Hi Luiz,
    just as you wrote you need to pass the user name and password in the request body (unless you turn that requirement off in the IM Management Console, but that opens up a big security hole).

I'm also calling TEWS internally from PXs quite a lot and I have seen the exact same requirement as you (i.e. to be able to encrypt the user name and password parameters in PX) and right now there is no work-around that I'm aware of. A couple of weeks ago I submitted an enhancement request for this and I would encourage you to vote for it so that it might get some attention. 
    The Idea is called: Ability to define a Password Constant in PX

Regards
    Per

Senior Architect
    HCL Enterprise Studio

• 4.  RE: Using a PX with a SOAP request to call an admin task .

Posted Mar 31, 2020 09:58 AM
    Hi
    Thank you both for the answers!

@Marconi
    That seems to be the most secure way of going about it, but I think that for this time I will create a service user that have permission just to call this one specific task. Since it is only a synchonization task I don't see how it could cause much trouble.    

@Per
    You have my vote for the enhancement. I made the original post  because It seems strange to me that they develop a SOAP Query PX and in there they have an option for a "Basic Auth Invoke" and their own TEWS doesn't make use of it to hide away the user password.   

Thanks again for the help!