Symantec IGA

View Only
  • 1.  backupVapp command on multiple nodes

Posted Jan 21, 2020 04:41 AM
    Hi Team,
    Identity Suite 14.3 vapp.

Let said i have 3 nodes configured in Identity suite VAPP. 
    How should i run my backupVapp command  ?

Q1. Do I only run this command on each node1, node2 and node3. 

Q2. Or do i only perform backupVApp on only 1 node ?

Q3. If my node1 is crash, i perform restoreVapp on node1, will it automatically sync back with node2 & node3 ?

All this is not mentioned in the documentation. Documentation only perform the command backupVapp and restoreVapp.

regards,
    William

• 2.  RE: backupVapp command on multiple nodes
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 21, 2020 10:38 AM
    You should run backupVapp and restoreVapp specifically for each node.  So backupVapp on node1 and use its output for restoreVapp on node1, and so forth.
    As far as syncing back to other nodes, what data are you looking to sync?

------------------------------
    And, as always Perhaps there are others in the communities who have experience in doing this and we invite them to comment here also.

Another option may be to reach out to our partner HCL Technologies to see in what way they can assist further. The Enterprise Studio team of HCL can be reached at enterprisestudio@hcl.com. https://www.hcltech.com/enterprise-studio

• 3.  RE: backupVapp command on multiple nodes

Posted Jan 21, 2020 07:55 PM
    Hi Catherine,
    The "sync" i referring to :-

Q1. Userstore
    Q2. Provisioning store
    Q3. Virtual appliance cluster information & external DB info.
    Q4. Let said node2 is a VM and it is crash,then i resetup from OVA file, then configure as node2 then i perform restoreVapp(Is this step correct) ? 
    Q5. Then(when restoreVapp) system will automatically join back to Virtual appliance cluster and configured with it original services ?(Do we need to perform any additional steps ?)

regards,
    William

• 4.  RE: backupVapp command on multiple nodes

Posted Jan 22, 2020 04:35 AM
    Hi all :-)

Does anyone have a script to run the backup unattended and copy the output file to a Windows share????  Also to restart the DXSERVERs :-)

Thanks and have a nice day :-) - Jens

• 5.  RE: backupVapp command on multiple nodes

Posted Jan 23, 2020 11:27 AM
    We have a extensive script that backs p all running DSA's, log files and various config.  It also compresses and cleans up log files in various locations, I don't think the vApp has a alias for this.  We then pull that data to another VM and upload to TSM.  We decided not to use the vApp's backup alias because it is a bit of a black box and we would prefer not to bring down the dsa's to minimize disruption.  HA clustering never quite worked as expected with the standalone versions of IDM we currently have implemented and because it is the application server that handles this, it's really not something Broadcom supports.

Is it possible to get a list of what the backup alias actually backs-up? i.e. config, DB files etc

Not sure why you would restart the DSA's but that would be simple to cron.

• 6.  RE: backupVapp command on multiple nodes

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 23, 2020 03:24 PM
    Hi Samuel,

The command backups up the following:

Existing user store
    Provisioning Directory data
    In order to do the above you have stop all DSA's

If it is a sandbox it will also backup the local database 
    All Wildfly based products (IG, IM, and IP) depending on what you have deployed

I ran the command in my 14.3 environment to visually show you what the command does when you execute it:

Do you want to take a backup of existing User Store and Provisioning Directory Data? (Choosing "N" will backup only configurations) (Y/N)? Y

The vApp backup tool dumps User Store and Provisioning Directory data using the "dxdumpdb" command
    This command requires that the correspondings DSAs are in stopped state

The following DSAs are started:
    UserStore_userstore-01
    ca-prov-srv-01-impd-co
    ca-prov-srv-01-impd-main
    ca-prov-srv-01-impd-inc
    ca-prov-srv-01-impd-notify

Do you want the tool to stop all started DSAs in order to take a backup (Y/N)? Y

[INFO] Stopping all DSAs
    Backing up DSA UserStore_userstore-01 [OK]
    Backing up DSA ca-prov-srv-01-impd-co [OK]
    Backing up DSA ca-prov-srv-01-impd-main [OK]
    Backing up DSA ca-prov-srv-01-impd-inc [OK]
    Backing up DSA ca-prov-srv-01-impd-notify [OK]

Do you want to take a backup of the local Oracle XE embedded database? This will stop the database and all Wildfly-based products: IM, IP and IG (Y/N)? Y
    [INFO] Stopping Identity Portal
    Stopping WildFly (Portal): [ OK ]
    [INFO] Stopping Identity Governance
    Stopping WildFly (IG): [ OK ]
    [INFO] Stopping Identity Manager
    Stopping WildFly (IDM): [ OK ]
    [INFO] Stopping Oracle Database Express 11g
    Shutting down Oracle Database 11g Express Edition instance.
    Stopping Oracle Net Listener.
    [INFO] Creating archive: vApp_backup_14.3.0_yourhostname_20200123_151307.tgz

On the next screen, you will be asked to enter a password to encrypt the backup archive
    Press <RETURN> to proceed
    [INFO] Encrypting archive
    [INFO] vApp backup archive was successfully created
    Path: /home/config/vApp_backup_14.3.0_yourhostname_20200123_151307.tgz.gpg
    Size: 949M

I hope you found this information helpful. 

Thank you,
    Nicole

• 7.  RE: backupVapp command on multiple nodes

Posted Jan 23, 2020 04:41 PM
    I am aware of how to run this backup and fully aware of the process behind it but can you elaborate behind what you mean when you say: "Wildfly based products (IG, IM, and IP) depending on what you have deployed"  Does it backup the entire directory i.e. /opt/CA/wildfly-idm

Is there a reason it does not backup CA directory config?  This would be crucial as it is a customizable part of the vApp.

Is there a reason it does not backup logs?  why the  backup does not login to the console and do a dump there so you do not have to shutdown the DSA?

It would be helpful if you could do a online backup.